SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0407.JPG
HI Guys

I've been watching my pair of Blue Throat Triggers over the last weeks, as you do, and Im wondering if they are actually trying to breed or are breeding?

They have lived under the rocks on the left side of my tank since I got them probably 7 months ago, and have always 'danced/spun' around together and are generally very friendly to one another cruising around the tank etc.

They will also twirl upwards together spinning around etc.

I've also noticed over the last 3-4 weeks that whenever I put my long callipers in the tank that they try to attack it, and over the last few weeks whenever I clean the glass inside they have started going after the glass magnet (Flipper).

They have also been blowing in the sand at the bottom of the tank every so often together.

Also, I don't know if im imagining it, but the female seems to have a slightly swollen underside.

I'm no expert (well actually I know nothing!) and just wondered on your thoughts ?

My tank and triggers are in photo - male top right and female leftish middle.

Stugots

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just saw this while researching BT. Sorry you didn't get any responses. You have a gorgeous tank! Any updates? Thanks.

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just saw this while researching BT. Sorry you didn't get any responses. You have a gorgeous tank! Any updates? Thanks.
They haven't bred yet but I started a tank thread below. I have a video to post showing their activities

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you buy them paired or did you pair them?
They were together when I got them although they had been fighting at the time so had been separated!

They’ve made up now! Lol

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They were together when I got them although they had been fighting at the time so had been separated!

They’ve made up now! Lol
Old thread but what was the outcome? My BJT pair are exhibiting the exact same behaviors. The only negative thing that just started is the male now will nip corals and my clam. Not to eat. It seems more outta frustration as at times the female just ignores him. So much so that I have trapped the make and seriously considering selling him. Thanks.

MickeyCT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What ended up happening with your BJT's? Mine are doing the same thing plus the male also sometimes chases the female and she runs and hides. I've also had someone digging holes at night under my rockwork. I suspect one of them but not sure. Last thing is I added a white tail bristletooth tang last week the male has gone after it everytime it shows itself to the point I think it's not going to make it. I can't find it to rescue it, and I haven't been able to catch the male trigger either as I thought about removing him for a while to see if things settle down. I know I can rehome him, but they are so beautiful I hate to do that.

Mickey

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I removed the male and sumped him for a couple of months. Put him back in the DT and so far it looks like he lost that loving feeling. When they were going thru their mating rituals, they’d constantly be blowing the sand around. Think it’s to prepare it for eggs.

MickeyCT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think my sump is probably too small but may be able to set up a small tank for a few weeks, a 10 gal would be easier, a 20 somewhat harder, anything larger impossible. How big is your sump?

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think my sump is probably too small but may be able to set up a small tank for a few weeks, a 10 gal would be easier, a 20 somewhat harder, anything larger impossible. How big is your sump?
Small tank would work. My sump is 45 gals but he was in the return section which is probably around 10 gals. For a few months it would prob be fine. Just a pain having to also feed him when is was in there as it’s downstairs in my fish room. He was put on a diet as I sometimes didn’t go down to feed him every day. But he’s fattened up quickly since back in the DT.

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I'm not mistaken, BT will try and reproduce in captivity, I think I've seen it before, though the fry have a practically zero precent chance of survival unless a fry-rearing setup is made. Though that is definitely breeding behavior. The spiraling is a courtship dance and the sand displacement is them building a nest

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back