Blue throat Trigger really timid

Dilan Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So when I picked up fish for my new build I bought 4 2 clownfish, a fairy wrasse and a blue throat trigger. All these fish were healthy and eating at the store exept I did not see the trigger eat because it was hiding. I bought it anyways thinking the fish was healthy and that it was scared to eat. So all new fish have been out swimming and eating live brine shrimp, pellets and LRS except for the trigger. he rarely moves from his spot but when he does he moves from one hiding location to another. He is in a BB tank so i can see exctly where he is and he is breathing and sometimes hovers in his hiding spot. Got him 4 days ago and he has yet to eat. should i be concerned yet or is he still trying to acclimate?

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So when I picked up fish for my new build I bought 4 2 clownfish, a fairy wrasse and a blue throat trigger. All these fish were healthy and eating at the store exept I did not see the trigger eat because it was hiding. I bought it anyways thinking the fish was healthy and that it was scared to eat. So all new fish have been out swimming and eating live brine shrimp, pellets and LRS except for the trigger. he rarely moves from his spot but when he does he moves from one hiding location to another. He is in a BB tank so i can see exctly where he is and he is breathing and sometimes hovers in his hiding spot. Got him 4 days ago and he has yet to eat. should i be concerned yet or is he still trying to acclimate?
I have a male Blue Throat trigger in a bare bottom tank. He was really shy at first but within two weeks he came around.
Got him to eat shredded up and pre-soaked nori and now he eats just about anything I feed.

Truly a beautiful fish and patients, with a calm environment will win out :)

OP
OP
Dilan Patel

Dilan Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
He ended up passing sadly:(. i believe he died from stress due to the fcat the tank is new and it was probably stressful for him even though parameters are in acceptable ranges ammonia,nitrite 0 and nitrate at 2-5

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He ended up passing sadly:(. i believe he died from stress due to the fcat the tank is new and it was probably stressful for him even though parameters are in acceptable ranges ammonia,nitrite 0 and nitrate at 2-5
Dilan,
I'm sorry ;Sorry

Freddie

Syed123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sucks man. Yeah for the future I would only purchase a trigger if it is eating first at the LFS. A trigger not eating is a red flag. Don't give up. I would try another once the tank is a bit more established.

OP
OP
Dilan Patel

Dilan Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
yup may have rushed stocking my tank. i am just going to let the new fish help with feeding the bacteria and getting the tank up and running.

OP
OP
Dilan Patel

Dilan Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you want up to date info on the tank you can check out my build thread which gets updated as constant as I know something new:)
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/official-build-thread-of-a-135-gallon-reef-tank.344567/

but LFS tested my water today
Nitrate:5
Ammonia:0
Nitrite:0

These numbers are what I got when i tested my water a yesterday but my salinity was low due to me not receiving my shipment of salt but I got the salt today and am in the process of upping the salinity gradually.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back