NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I have proof! :)

Curious Bluegill - YouTube

Please ignore the intro. :D Went diving this weekend and played around with the GoPro a bit. Thought you guys might get a kick out of this.

If you dive around brim earlier in the year when they have nests, they WILL chase you away! They usually go for exposed areas, which means ears for the most part... and it hurts! :)

Brandon

Zef004

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol !
Nice vid Brandon. They didn't like the camra. Any other fish in there.

angrycubano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always gotten pecked while divin the quarry by those darn things. I usually go June/July and the water below 40 feet is freezin. How does it feel in Sept?

mixer911

Make them green with envy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need the housing I told you about. It will clear up the underwater footage. The fish are blurry. The above water video quality looks great. I hope you got one for the keys :crossedlips:

mixer911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always gotten pecked while divin the quarry by those darn things. I usually go June/July and the water below 40 feet is freezin. How does it feel in Sept?

Mitch you dive too? Sweet. Brandon has been trying to get me to dive in that frozen pond for a while.

ToXIc

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mitch you dive too? Sweet. Brandon has been trying to get me to dive in that frozen pond for a while.

Well duh. How you think he got to Miami! :nerd:

angrycubano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bwahahahaha. I dive but haven't been in a while. I'm a warm water diver though so I haven't been to the quarry in a while.

OP
OP
NeveSSL

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys and your warm water crap... lol. I'm betting you guys aren't up for the New Years dive at Martha's Quarry this year? I'm not either, actually... lol.

Zef, there were also a lot of catfish in there, just not where we were hanging out. I know Martha's in Lebanon has a bunch of large mouth bass in it, too. They're fun to mess with. They don't like to move unless they absolutely have to (energy conservation I'm sure), so you can get very close to them and pretty much touch them before they will budge. You seem their eyes lock onto your hand and they just watch it until you almost touch them... lol. What's really fun, though is taking a can of cheeze whiz with you. Fish LOVE that crap! :)

And yes, these are bait size, Mike. :)

Rick, I probably need to order one of those lenses today, I just can't find one that is reasonably priced. They seem to start at $40... and I just hate paying that much for a piece of accurately drilled lexan... heh... but I probably need to pony up so I can get some great underwater footage in the Keys. I will probably regret it if I don't. :)

Brandon

OP
OP
NeveSSL

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got to Amoray Dive Resort on Key Largo this evening. :) Its beautiful here and I can't wait to get into the water! I may do some snorkeling tomorrow evening. :)

Also, picked up a flat lens for my GoPro today at a spearfishing store in Miami. I may test it out tomorrow while snorkeling. :)

Brandon

fishdoc11

It's a hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope you are having fun Brandon:) We need to head out to Martha's one weekend. I went in Puerto Rico on our trip last month...it was awesome!
Chris

OP
OP
NeveSSL

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far its been mostly work, Chris. But the diving is tomorrow. :) Glad you hear you got some bottom time, though! Have you been to Pennyroyal Quarry yet? If not, THAT's where we need to go. They have a really nice setup there and its only about an hour away. I think the main part of it goes down to about 90', too, with some parts going deeper. Good stuff!

Brandon

mixer911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Believe it or not Brandon, around the bridges is some great snorkeling. You will be amazed what you see. We used to see 500# jew fish and tons of lobster. You cant harvest anything though as it is protected water around most of the bridges until you go farther south. Where are u going diving at? We used to go to Aligator reef alot. It wayyyyy out there though, like 3-4 miles out. That was one nice thing about growing up in south FL as we didn't have to go that far to get to the reef. The keys are so much shallower until 3 miles out.

Glad you got the lens 1smile1 You will be so much happier with the footage now. It not like you go there every week!

mixer911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a video I shot in 2004 on one of my dives back home. The original footage is all 720P HD, but I compressed it down for time reasons. Anyway starting at the 2:40 time you will see a damsel jet out of the reef and attack my camera. I have a bunch of footage on stock where they would do this. its pretty funny.

Diving off of Boynton 2004 - YouTube

OP
OP
NeveSSL

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice, man. I'll have to check that out when I get back and have access to internet that doesn't suck. :)

I got some great footage with the GoPro today! Man, those little cameras are quite a trip. I'll post it up once I turn it right side up again... completely forgot I had set it to upside down the other day and recorded everything upside down today... lol. Oh well. Its converting now and then I'll have to once again get to a place that has internet that doesn't suck and I'll upload the videos. :) We had sargent majors running at us today... they were cracking me up. Also saw a bunch of Atlantic Blue Tangs (one of my favs), some gorgeous blue reef chromis, parrotfish, and lots of black and white damsels. :)

Brandon

gmoney243

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awsome stuff guys can't wait to watch rick and your vids would love to go diving myself one day.. I've been snorkling in bahamas but that was when I was like 11 lol but it was awsome

OP
OP
NeveSSL

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.5%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 84 79.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.7%
Back