Bob Fenner has passed away...

damselindistress

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I'm sure he wouldn't remember me I would consider Bob Fenner my most significant mentor in this hobby. I got my first salt water tank (a 125 gallon 6' fowlr) in 1996, when I was 13. I struggled to keep fish alive (jn truth a 13 year old shouldn't be put in charge of a 125 gallon aquarium!) in part because the books I had were mostly coffee table books - large, beautiful books withe gorgeous photos but little depth. I also had read Moe's Marine Aquarium Reference, Systems and Invertebrates, which gave me a deeper understanding of the biological and chemical processes in the aquarium (and a dream to make my own algae turf scrubber out baking trays) but was less helpful when it came to selecting livestock and keeping them alive. These books depicted fantasies of the hobby - glossy and problem free on the one side, and a technical DIY bonanza on the other. It isn't that what they said wasn't true, but more like they were written from and for a different way of being in the hobby from mine.

Finding Fenner's The Conscientious Marine Aquarist in this context was like finding a home. Despite his deep knowledge and scientific training, he wrote for hobbyists, people who aren't scientists or engineers but who are deeply interested in fish and invertebrate life and wanted to learn about these organisms and how to keep them alive in their homes.

I got my first computer and internet around this time (1997ish) and found wetwebmedia and discovered I could actually talk with Fenner, that he would answer my questions quickly and kindly. It was so meaningful for me at that age. There was no one around me who knew more about fish than I did, no adult who could teach me what they knew. As I kid I loved fish and also reading and books, and to speak with someone who wrote a book about fish was my equivalent of talking to a revered athlete for many. Of course, Fenner wasn't just talking to me, he was helping and advising me, so It was like getting pointers on how to play from that sports hero.

Fenner made it possible for me to enjoy this hobby by keeping fish alive for the first time. His kindness to me and his generosity with his knowledge are still my ideals when I post on this and other forums. I am so thankful he was a part of my life in this hobby.
A lovely tribute, I hope someone in his family sees this.

Rest in peace Mr. Fenner, you are already sorely missed.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh, what a loss to our hobby. His book "the conscientious marine aquarist" was the very first book I read and bought when I first got into the hobby over 20 years ago. It had a profound impact on me.

deleau

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
R.I.P. Mr. Fenner. Like many others, his book "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist" was the first (and for a while) only resource I had at the beginning of my saltwater escapades. His reach/impact in this hobby is significant.

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He will be severely missed.

My first saltwater aquarium was set up in the late '70's. With today's emphasis on chemicals, various filters, live this and live that, it was refreshing to have an old school person like Bob advising the importance of creating a balanced stable eco system through the use of various plant life. And to not immediately dismiss any system that was over 10 years old (like under gravel filters for instance).
But perhaps that is only something people like Paul_B and me understand.

RIP and you will be missed.

Wildreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never had a chance to meet him , probably was never within a 100 miles of him, however I wrote to him via email at least 100 times.

always responded, sometimes with an answer, other times a way to figure out the answer myself. Vast array of knowledge , ranging from the laymons terms to the scientific nomenclature of aquatic life from snails to sharks. Was brilliants with equipment and chemistry too, and not all from books, but first hand knowledge . Have yet to find someone that well rounded

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I had to dig a little bit but I know it was around here somewhere. Same as a lot of you I'm sure, this is the book that started it all for me. Tattered and beat up but still with me. The hobby wouldn't be what it is today with this man. Deeply sorry for the loss.

IMG_0927.jpeg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 23.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 34.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 31.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 8.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back