Bobbit worm antenna?

LandLockedJones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahoy,

I added a Duncan to the tank the other day. And when I was on the way home, I looked at the bag and saw a few hitchhikers. Was already planning a coralrx dip so wasn’t really concerned.

seems I bumped of a snail or 2 which I wish I would have kept. But I also saw this thing that looked like half a starfish.
E4F2DF3F-E3E3-4C93-B115-2C1C5E9CEC83.png

Finally had time to look for it online, and encountered a critter that looks like something you’d see in stranger things.

DBD7F325-4D20-474A-BDB3-DF299751E8A8.png

Obviously labeled as a bad hitchhiker, but seems to be some debate as to whether removing them is more trouble than its

My question, is am I missing the rest of this monster?

I only saw this piece that looks like it’s antenna, which was latched on the coral and actually came off in the bag, nothing that looked like the rest of this guy came off with the dip.

just wondering if I should expect the rest of it is still living in the Duncan or something.

Thanks for looking!

Nothing left to do but sail away,
~LandLockedJones~

OP
OP
LandLockedJones

LandLockedJones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is, no space for quarantine currently. Gonna work on that in the future.

The only thing inside is 2 standard clowns, a Duncan and 2 RFA’s. So I am not losing sleep over it. (yet, my sillyness usually catches up with me so we will see…)

Just got really curious after seeing something so small, that is attached to something off a black metal album cover. Personally, I think they look cool, just not sure I want it in the tank.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Looks like a brittle starfish to me

1654534726786.png

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahoy,

I added a Duncan to the tank the other day. And when I was on the way home, I looked at the bag and saw a few hitchhikers. Was already planning a coralrx dip so wasn’t really concerned.

seems I bumped of a snail or 2 which I wish I would have kept. But I also saw this thing that looked like half a starfish.
E4F2DF3F-E3E3-4C93-B115-2C1C5E9CEC83.png

Finally had time to look for it online, and encountered a critter that looks like something you’d see in stranger things.

DBD7F325-4D20-474A-BDB3-DF299751E8A8.png

Obviously labeled as a bad hitchhiker, but seems to be some debate as to whether removing them is more trouble than its

My question, is am I missing the rest of this monster?

I only saw this piece that looks like it’s antenna, which was latched on the coral and actually came off in the bag, nothing that looked like the rest of this guy came off with the dip.

just wondering if I should expect the rest of it is still living in the Duncan or something.

Thanks for looking!

Nothing left to do but sail away,
~LandLockedJones~
that looks like a brittle. not a bobbit worm antena lol

OP
OP
LandLockedJones

LandLockedJones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright then,

The shorter legs (and no experience) really threw me off. I thought starfish grew more symmetrically. Though I had no basis for that thought.

When I was scrolling through that hitchhiker list and came across that thing. Seeing those bands on the antennas made me curious.

I wish I would have thrown it in, along with the 2 little snails. It was already dislodged when I put it into the dip so I didn’t bother grabbing it.

Thanks!

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright then,

The shorter legs (and no experience) really threw me off. I thought starfish grew more symmetrically. Though I had no basis for that thought.

When I was scrolling through that hitchhiker list and came across that thing. Seeing those bands on the antennas made me curious.

I wish I would have thrown it in, along with the 2 little snails. It was already dislodged when I put it into the dip so I didn’t bother grabbing it.

Thanks!
be careful not all snails are good.
check this out for more help in the future: https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/guide-to-common-hitchhikers-in-reef-tanks.861/

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bobbitt worms are not something to really worry about. There's like 2 cases of them ever happening that I've seen online even when live rock was the thing so they were exceedingly rare even before the sterile tanks of today.

OP
OP
LandLockedJones

LandLockedJones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright then,

Thanks!
prob lost those legs or something

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Micro brittle star and are you sure the mystery antennae wasn't just a leg from the brittle star?

OP
OP
LandLockedJones

LandLockedJones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Micro brittle star and are you sure the mystery antennae wasn't just a leg from the brittle star?
Not at all, I now agree with all saying it’s a brittle star. In the photo I can see the legs. Have a sort of serrated look like the starfish legs. The antenna on the Bobbit worm in the photo I posted seems to be a pretty straight taper.

Though I do wish I had a better photo of it or better yet kept it in a container. I am pretty sold.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back