Borbonius anthias - swim bladder issue?

Ming_

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

As per the title, bought a borbonius anthias about a week ago. Fish was in the LFS for also around 1 week.
This is my first borbonius anthias, somewhat of an impulse but as there was a nice fish at the LFS. Observed this fish for some time and when i wanted to purchase it, LFS told be it is already reserved.

In the end bought another one without much observation. After releasing it in my tank, realized that it is always swimming head down tail up. I somehow feel that the fish is too buoyant so it is swimming face down as compensation.

Is this the classic swim bladder problem which i read about after buying the fish?
Fish is eating very well so far, attacking frozen mysis and brine shrimp. Any chance they can heal themselves with this swim bladder issue?

Cheers
Ming

Bigwrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure but I have one that likes to swim upside down anytime it’s under structure

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May be that it’s normal. Shoot a video. They do have odd swimming patterns, but they are also prone to bladder issues from collection. I’ve tried them twice. One didn’t make it a week. The other made it six months, seemed excellent, then seemed to literally go blind, and eventually withered away.... Touchy creatures. Some folks have luck, but I think losses are generally fairly high for them, especially during the first year.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 41 87.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 6.4%
Back