Bored? How about Mentoring a Newbie?

AquaTop MR-20 Multimedia Reactor - right now all I have in there is phosphate remover but I could switch to carbon, or both
UPS just showed up so let me do some testing right now and report back
 
AquaTop MR-20 Multimedia Reactor - right now all I have in there is phosphate remover but I could switch to carbon, or both
UPS just showed up so let me do some testing right now and report back
..
 
Last edited:
Dude, take your bag a salt and toss it around for a few minutes to mix up the salt inside. Then make a gallon of water and test the parameters. I've had two instances with two different brands of salt that gave me 12+dkh alk because i had not mixed the bag before using it.
 
PO4 - 0
NO3- 0
Mag - 1095
Cal - 335
Alk - 14.1
testing salt now
the bucket says it should be:
Cal - 400
Mag - 1200
Alk - 9
 
Last edited:
I think I found my problem. Fresh salt mix of 1/2 cup to 1 gallon is 15 Alk.
 
So, being a stupid newbie I did not know about stirring the salt for 8 hours. The directions from CoraLife do not say anything about that. Should I use an aerator?
 
1/2 cup to 1 gallon of ROI water, let sit for usually an hour(max), stir a few times, use.
 
Sorry, no, I always test salinity before I add to tank and with 1/2 cup to 1 gallon it is always 35ppt. So should I let this test mix of salt sit overnight and see what the morning brings for test #'s?
 
Sorry, no, I always test salinity before I add to tank and with 1/2 cup to 1 gallon it is always 35ppt. So should I let this test mix of salt sit overnight and see what the morning brings for test #'s?

Stir up the bag of salt if you haven't already, then test fresh saltwater (after it's properly mixed)
 
I have a Hannah Salinity Tester that I just calibrated 2 days ago. In the reef system I have an Apex.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 32.0%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 8 32.0%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 7 28.0%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 36.0%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 4 16.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new