Bottom dwelling fish that don’t mess up sand

monti mike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a refugium or a lot of pods in the tank a mandarin or dragonet may be a decent option. They’re interesting, stay near the bottom of the tank and they definitely won’t make a mess of the sand.

OP
OP
Tuffloud1

Tuffloud1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a refugium or a lot of pods in the tank a mandarin or dragonet may be a decent option. They’re interesting, stay near the bottom of the tank and they definitely won’t make a mess of the sand.

I should have mentioned I have had a Spotted Mandarin for 6 years transferred from my old 90 to new 262.

pcon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have one of these? Curious if they are compatible with Mandarins.

Flame hawks are a fun fish, they will eat anything that fits in their mouth but stay relatively small. so a problem for sexy shrimp or other small ornamental shrimp, but larger cleaner shrimp are likely fine. They end up perching on the rocks, and have a ton of personality. would be highly unlikely for them to stir up any sand.

OP
OP
Tuffloud1

Tuffloud1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flame hawks are a fun fish, they will eat anything that fits in their mouth but stay relatively small. so a problem for sexy shrimp or other small ornamental shrimp, but larger cleaner shrimp are likely fine. They end up perching on the rocks, and have a ton of personality. would be highly unlikely for them to stir up any sand.

So my 6 year old Mandarin and Fire Shrimp should be safe?

Do they eat pods?

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have SPS Corals in that tank? A Clown Goby could be the way to go.

mtfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hawkfish do not have a swim bladder, so they do a lot of sitting. The flame hawk is a really cool fish. They can be secretive at first but usually stay out most of the time once settled. Not really a "bottom" fish, but more like rock bouncers.

pcon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my 6 year old Mandarin and Fire Shrimp should be safe?

Do they eat pods?
I would think they would be safe. My friend has his in with a pair of fire shrimp. and small reef fish without incident. and I have a Long nose hawk in with a pair of fire shrimp and some small gobies, without issue. I would not consider them a pod eater, tend to eat small shrimp and fish in the wild, and things like mysis in aquaria.

good.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should check out the geometric pygmy hawkfish, it stays smaller and is less aggressive.

good.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fun fact it is technically an anthias not a hawkfish. but more often is lumped in with hawks by online retailers.
Awesome. Cool thing to learn, thanks. It always looked more like a basslet to me.

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hawkfish is amazing. I’ve had a flame hawk for 3 years and she’s my favorite. But I’m not sure they’ll give you what you’re looking for. Mine typically goes from the top perch on one side of the tank (my flipper scraper) to the top perch on the other side (powerhead), with some other rock hopping in between, but rarely in the sand. They’re apparently not good in groups, but a single one will act as a referee - this is something I can attest to. I had one with a coral banded shrimp for 6 months or so until the shrimp died, but I’ve been too nervous to pair her with another.

Zan's Aquatica

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hawkfish get my vote because they have an obviously different character than swimming fish!

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 64 44.1%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 69 47.6%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 12 8.3%
Back