Bottom dwelling fish that don’t mess up sand

pcon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome. Cool thing to learn, thanks. It always looked more like a basslet to me.
the scientific name makes it more obvious: Plectranthias inermis, it's a Serranidae with the other anthias along with groupers, soap fish and the Liopropoma basslets. where as the hawkfish are in family Cirrhitidae. The Gramma basslets like the Royal Gramma and Black Cap are in Grammatidae family. So it is related to some but not other basslets. The nightmare world of reef fish taxonomy.

OP
OP
Tuffloud1

Tuffloud1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the scientific name makes it more obvious: Plectranthias inermis, it's a Serranidae with the other anthias along with groupers, soap fish and the Liopropoma basslets. where as the hawkfish are in family Cirrhitidae. The Gramma basslets like the Royal Gramma and Black Cap are in Grammatidae family. So it is related to some but not other basslets. The nightmare world of reef fish taxonomy.

Any issues between Royal Gramma and Flame Hawkfish?

I have 5 Royal Grammas in QT right now.

pcon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any issues between Royal Gramma and Flame Hawkfish?
My friend had both in his tank for several years, a 29gal, so I wouldn't expect anything more than the usual Gramma tutorial scuffles.

good.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are Sailfin (lawnmower) Blennies safe with SPS, LPS, softies, Midas Blennies and Mandarins?
I have heard that they can get very aggressive as the age, I'm not sure why so many places list them as peaceful. I've seen them get pretty big. I've never heard of them bothering corals. A Starry Blenny might be a good choice. Or if you get a small barnacle you could get some Barnacle Blennies, those are really fun.

pcon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are Sailfin (lawnmower) Blennies safe with SPS, LPS, softies, Midas Blennies and Mandarins?
I would say they are pretty reef safe for a blenny, but I have a starry which is from the same genus who I watched eat a gorgonian like a kabob. I personally don’t like lawnmowers after one that was in the store I worked in started going after stingrays.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 63 43.8%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 69 47.9%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 12 8.3%
Back