Bought QT fish only and now ich?

shrive81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so tank is 2 months old and got two clowns in the tank that did great put a long nose in was king great and then a firefish and today noticed this all over the longnose.... all fish were bough already done with a QT process but now I have corals in the tank as well what’s my best bet at this point

BAF8E54F-8F03-48A3-B6A7-96D57E4F6EB7.png 3619EFC0-674D-43A7-93FA-93CFBE4B8A63.jpeg

ASIN28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so tank is 2 months old and got two clowns in the tank that did great put a long nose in was king great and then a firefish and today noticed this all over the longnose.... all fish were bough already done with a QT process but now I have corals in the tank as well what’s my best bet at this point

BAF8E54F-8F03-48A3-B6A7-96D57E4F6EB7.png 3619EFC0-674D-43A7-93FA-93CFBE4B8A63.jpeg
Looks like possibly velvet to me maybe? If you can count the dots on the fish it’s most of the time ich, if not you are dealing with velvet which is a fast killer

Sstadler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry. Appears ich or velvet has transferred in from something. If you truly believe the fish were quarantined and Prophylactically treated appropriately, then it is possible for some ich to have transferred to the tank via corals or inverts if those were not quarantined.

I’m not an expert, but my recommendation would be to separate the fish from the corals/inverts and immediately treat with copper. If it is ich, the ich has been introduced to the tank the only way to be sure that they will not get it again is to have the tank fishless for almost 3 months…

The BEST advise I can give to to go to humble.fish and read up on his quarantine and treatment process. He is a highly respected member of the reef community

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sorry about the issues.

If you want to manage ich (if that is what you have) it can be done. Just know it takes time and good husbandry and good nutrition especially. Now, this will cause all future fish to possibly become infected. This is not a huge deal if you get very healthy fish that have the right ability to fight. I actually managed my main display with ich for over 12 years with no losses until a large move.

However, throw a captive bred fish in the mix and it does not have the abilities to fight some of the wild caught fish diseases. I have not had good luck with fish in my new build over past two years. I now qt everything. Fish, rock, coral, inverts, etc. It may not keep it completely out, but minimizes my exposure.

Many ways to do things in this hobby and have a nice reef. Comes down to how you want your tank managed in future and now.

OP
OP
S

shrive81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does this look like velvet? Or ich? I have 4 fish I just paid a bit of money for coming from my qt supplier that have been treated and in qt for 4 weeks. I’m afraid Now I will be killing them by adding them to the tank

Qasimja

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does this look like velvet? Or ich? I have 4 fish I just paid a bit of money for coming from my qt supplier that have been treated and in qt for 4 weeks. I’m afraid Now I will be killing them by adding them to the tank
is the fish not eating? hiding from the light and and or swimming into the flow of the powerhead? breathing heavily?

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sorry about your diseased long nosed butterfly but I would like to add that it would be almost impossible to add a long nose butterfly to a 2 month old tank no matter what you did.
I have been at this for decades and I couldn't do it. That is a fish that requires an established tank with some age on it.
The store should have told you that. Even if that fish didn't get parasites, I don't think it would have survived in that tank.
Sorry but that is my opinion.

No such thing as velvet management.
I totally disagree as my tank proves.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's heavy, but if you want it, you can come and get it. :)

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That is a classic case of Cryptocaryon, ich. It is a bit far along, so you'll need to deal with it pretty quickly. It is well past the stage where it can be "managed". What happens is that the parasite reproduces exponentially. Once they reach a certain point (about where your fish is now) the next crop of parasites are so numerous, they overwhelm the fish. This is called "propagule pressure" and no amount of diet improvements, good water quality or herbal drugs are going to be able to overcome that.

IMO - there really is only one option - move all the fish to a stable treatment tank and start an immediate copper treatment. Is this doable for you? I can't say, but it's the best solution I can offer....sorry!

Jay

OP
OP
S

shrive81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I’m super confused does ich spots go away in a day? This morning the fish has pretty much no spots at all maybe a couple on his fins but that is it... picture sucks but their are no real visible spots on his body and he is acting perfect and eats like a shark hahaha

Attachments

• 4FF14BA1-49AF-41A1-A384-AE08E7A84DFA.jpeg
    4FF14BA1-49AF-41A1-A384-AE08E7A84DFA.jpeg
    111.2 KB · Views: 27
  • D6BF88BB-8008-476B-80A2-C919EDB0F510.jpeg
    D6BF88BB-8008-476B-80A2-C919EDB0F510.jpeg
    144.2 KB · Views: 28

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That is a sad situation. To me - it looks like velvet - and I think it would be a mistake for you to add any new fish to your tank. I would take the fish currently in the tank - re-treat them - and leave your tank fallow for 9 weeks.. I might also talk to your supplier - about what 'might' have happened - i.e. what 'protocol' he uses. Was it quarantine with medication(s) or just observation.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok I’m super confused does ich spots go away in a day? This morning the fish has pretty much no spots at all maybe a couple on his fins but that is it... picture sucks but their are no real visible spots on his body and he is acting perfect and eats like a shark hahaha
Yes - ich can go away in a day - as the parasites drop off. The recommendation stays the same. Treat the fish, leave the tank fallow, and don't add any new fish until all is resolved. The problem is - now there is 'ich' or 'velvet' in your tank - and those will multiply - and may come back in a couple days or a week. I have seen fish with velvet also do this - go from being covered - to looking fine - and dead in a couple days. Hopefully @Jay Hemdal will weigh in when he has a chance

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I agree with crypto and before you can decide best treatment, you need to be fairly certain what is the infectious agent of the fish. Some of the signs of infection with Cryptocaryon irritans are rubbing or scratching against decorations or substrate (this behavior is also known as glancing or flashing), breathing problems, an increased mucous layer, loss of appetite, abnormal swimming behavior, frayed fins, cloudy eyes, and, of course, the telltale white spots. These characteristic spots are usually described as appearing like small grains of salt stuck to the body of the fish. Even in the presence of all of these external signs, the best diagnostic tool is microscopic examination of fresh fin or gill clippings or skin scrapings. But, realistically, an extremely small number of us are ever going to perform this kind of differential diagnosis, myself included.
I’m surprised after alleged qt that this would occur. Copper is a highly effective medication against Cryptocaryon irritans when dosed and maintained in the proper concentration.. always have a test kit when dosing copper.
Other option is formalin (general cure is one form)
Formalin can be administered one of two ways; either in short dips with saltwater or used continually in a hospital tank. The dosage for the continuous use is 1 ml of the 37% stock solution for every 25 gallons of quarantine tank water . I prefer the formalin dip to continuous use because formalin is a fairly toxic compound. Also, with no commercially available test kits to monitor the concentration, it would be difficult to dose an entire tank and account for evaporation, absorption, etc.
To prepare the dip, Itake 5 gallons of tank water and add to it 3.75 ml of 37% formalin. also aerate the water vigorously to ensure there is maximum dissolved oxygen. The dip should last 30 to 60 minutes.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What happens when ich is first ramping up, all of the trophonts on the skin and fins are about the same age. They drop off and form tomonts. These then release daughter cells all about the same time that then swarm back and infect the fish....so spots seem to come and go. Eventually they get out of sync and there are spots all of the time, and they increase in numbers. I miscalculated, I thought the infection on your fish had already passed the sync’d phase. Will likely happen in the next few days.
Jay

OP
OP
S

shrive81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys ya I have a 20 gallon tank that I could put the fish in but 4 tangs 2 clowns, long nose and a goby and fire fish won’t survive a tank that small and no room to get a bigger one I hate to even say this but going to increase diet nutrition supplements and try to get UV installed and just do my best to manage what I have if I lose all the fish I will keep the tank fallow but unfortunately that is my situation I will have to deal with... kinda sucks but it is what it is.... it sucks I must have got the icy from invertebrates or corals even though I was carful

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys ya I have a 20 gallon tank that I could put the fish in but 4 tangs 2 clowns, long nose and a goby and fire fish won’t survive a tank that small and no room to get a bigger one I hate to even say this but going to increase diet nutrition supplements and try to get UV installed and just do my best to manage what I have if I lose all the fish I will keep the tank fallow but unfortunately that is my situation I will have to deal with... kinda sucks but it is what it is.... it sucks I must have got the icy from invertebrates or corals even though I was carful
Keep us updated. Fingers crossed that you can control it. There is a product called polyp lab medic, I’ve never used it, but it is a peroxide salt that *could* possibly help manage it, at least in theory it will....
Jay

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 30 21.0%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 105 73.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.2%
Back