Bounce Mushroom splitting or diing?

jiggysmb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the past few month this bounce mushroom went from 1/2" to 2" and was completely covered with orange bubbles! Yesterday I woke up to it shriveled with no orange bubbles, but the logo that was very close has white stringy things on it stretching to the mushroom and little 1mm bright white dots attached to the lobo. Not sure if it was snail eggs or the two were stinging or getting stung. Does the mushroom look to be splitting or diing? I guess it is promising that some orange bubble are visible but the guy we bought this from told us they are known to melt away.
k1pQ0cD.jpg

8OrNujm.jpg

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rid be more concerned with the bubble algae attached to its base as bubble algae eventually could be detrimental to your coral which could be what’s going on now . To answer your question It’s hard to tell from your pictures as to what’s going on exactly

OP
OP
J

jiggysmb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rid be more concerned with the bubble algae attached to its base as bubble algae eventually could be detrimental to your coral which could be what’s going on now . To answer your question It’s hard to tell from your pictures as to what’s going on exactly
I have remove a good amount of the bubble algae every week from around the corals but there is a lot buried in the live rock I can’t get to. Would you suggest removing all live rock and cleaning or doing a few days lights out?

OP
OP
J

jiggysmb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like Fritz products and just saw they sell "Algae clean out" and also saw Vibrant was recommended in another thread. Is one preferred over the other with lots of soft corals and some hard?

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like Fritz products and just saw they sell "Algae clean out" and also saw Vibrant was recommended in another thread. Is one preferred over the other with lots of soft corals and some hard?
I don’t advocate the use of chemicals ,I would manually remove the bubble around your coral plug and get Mithro ,emerald crabs and keep manually removing while your doing your water changes and sucking up the bubbles as you pry them off the rock . Is work but worth it . Vibrant I’ve used in the past with disastrous outcome losing many coral . I would not ever use it again except for killing weeds in between my pavers in the driveway and even then I feel something bad would happen .

jmschrader19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the past few month this bounce mushroom went from 1/2" to 2" and was completely covered with orange bubbles! Yesterday I woke up to it shriveled with no orange bubbles, but the logo that was very close has white stringy things on it stretching to the mushroom and little 1mm bright white dots attached to the lobo. Not sure if it was snail eggs or the two were stinging or getting stung. Does the mushroom look to be splitting or diing? I guess it is promising that some orange bubble are visible but the guy we bought this from told us they are known to melt away.
k1pQ0cD.jpg

8OrNujm.jpg
Did it ever get back to normal?

OP
OP
J

jiggysmb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, no. The one smaller full mushroom live the longest but eventually dissolved away. The other two pieces did not last very long, but all other mushrooms in our tanks are thriving. We had a super man Mushroom spit out six babies in the past couple months, I also discovered the local RO company water to go, has a very high magnesium level. We had been using that water in our top up and the magnesium level went to about 2000. Using distilled water I have gotten the level down to about 1600 and everything is looking better.

jmschrader19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, no. The one smaller full mushroom live the longest but eventually dissolved away. The other two pieces did not last very long, but all other mushrooms in our tanks are thriving. We had a super man Mushroom spit out six babies in the past couple months, I also discovered the local RO company water to go, has a very high magnesium level. We had been using that water in our top up and the magnesium level went to about 2000. Using distilled water I have gotten the level down to about 1600 and everything is looking better.
Dang that’s a bummer you lost the shrooms. I have a forest fire bounce that was doing well and then just decided to shrivel up. Everything else looks good in the tank and all parameters are normal.

2000? Yikes!!

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 17 8.4%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 35 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 135 66.5%
  • Neither.

Votes: 10 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.0%
Back