Split my mushroom by accident!

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, so in cleaning my tank today, and doing water change, I moved some rocks, not realizing that my disco mushroom was attached to 2 different rocks, and it looks like I split the middle of him! The disc is still complete, but in the middle where the mouth is, I see a hole thru to the rock underneath. Did this doom him? Or will he be able to survive and heal? There is a piece of his mouth on 2 different sides now. This is my first tank with corals, so I am learning, please bear with me.

Matt Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m thinking if it’s just a hole it might try to heal itself instead of splitting. I don’t know exactly what causes mushrooms to split but I would assume it might prefer to heal and only reproduce when it’s ready to
(This is just my thought process)

OP
OP
Sophie"s mom

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a mouth on both rocks , you may have 2 mushrooms soon.
That looks like what I have. The disc is still complete with no tears anywhere. But the middle where the mouth is , is what got torn, and yes it looks like half the mouth is on one side of the hole, and the other half on the other side of the hole. Thank you for your help, I just didn’t know if it would heal itself, split itself the rest of the way, or if I would have to help it split. I don’t know much about corals at all. Just learning.

m3xm3xm3x

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had similar situation where my mushroom had foot on frag plug and part on a rock. When I was cleaning I accidently ripped it apart and separated on both sides. It usually starts healing right away but it can take over a month for the mushroom to be round again.

OP
OP
Sophie"s mom

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had similar situation where my mushroom had foot on frag plug and part on a rock. When I was cleaning I accidently ripped it apart and separated on both sides. It usually starts healing right away but it can take over a month for the mushroom to be round again.
Thank you! Mine split at the mouth. Did yours finish its split on its own, or did it heal back into one mushroom?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.6%
Back