Cyanobacteria

micdri81

New Member
View Badges
Joined
May 5, 2024
Messages
12
Reaction score
1
Location
San Antonio
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a lot of purple cyanobacteria on my sand and I just did a treatment of chemiclean and nothing changed! It has been 78hrs and I just did a 35% water change. Should I do another round of chemiclean or what else is there to get rid of it

Ps: 12 week old tank 2 ocellaris clownfish 1 sand sifting starfish
 
Yes run it again and vac our what you can. I have that this problem be for and it sucks
 
I would look at it under the microscope to make sure it really is cyano before running another cycle of treatment. You might find that it isn't cyano in which case you'll be able to target the treatment to the real root cause.

If chemiclean did nothing as you stated, then I would bet it isn't cyano.
 
A lot of people have been telling me about dosing chemi clean as well as calcium carbonate. An affordable DIY reef snow. Ca carbonate can be bought in pure form on Amazon for super cheap. It acts as a flocculant which binds to particles in the water column which will be removed by filter socks and skimmer. Mine comes in tomorrow. I dosed chemi clean today and will dose ca carbonate tomorrow when it gets in. Stir up the cyano and blow off the rocks before adding.

Here is the thread I read today.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/extreme-water-clarity-and-cyano-eradication-made-easy.916381/
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new