Bouncing PO4

GarrettT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I didn’t say that unless you know how long they live before they die in the reef tank?
Phytoplankton should be consumed fairly quickly in a reef tank. Never heard of feeding live phytoplankton, only to have it die.

nomad6

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phytoplankton should be consumed fairly quickly in a reef tank. Never heard of feeding live phytoplankton, only to have it die.
Never said that, I said they don’t live long, (eg uv sterilizer, pumps, bright lights, filtration, fluctuating parameters) dang R2R is on it today. So I could essentially start a culture in my reef tank granted consumption isn’t an issue is what you’re saying? Dose once and blam insta phyto tank?

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want good fresh phyto cheap and willing to spend a few minutes a week on it then it is very easy to grow your own. I grow two types rather than the blend of 5 or 6 I could get buying commercially, but in my experience the results are the same....and I use so much I would not be able to justify the cost of buying it
Sounds good but I'm not willing to devote any time to culturing it or the space needed to do it, I barely want to give up the dosing time and fridge space. I use reef nutrition live now but it's pretty smelly and just curious what else is out there. :)

GarrettT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME live phyto will drop po4 quick, I dosed at night and the next morning my po4 was .05 pts lower (this was a 6 gal pico but you can scale up)and you will need an export system after as they die they’ll release back in the water (skimmer, 100 micron or lower filter floss or socks 12-24 hrs after you dose)
Nanno- 4-6um
Isochysis - 4-8um
Tetraselmis - 9-10um

Not sure a 100 micron or filter floss would accomplish much.

Never said that, I said they don’t live long, (eg uv sterilizer, pumps, bright lights, filtration, fluctuating parameters) dang R2R is on it today. So I could essentially start a culture in my reef tank granted consumption isn’t an issue is what you’re saying? Dose once and blam insta phyto tank?
Not sure why my post is upsetting you. No. You couldn't culture phytoplankton in a reef tank. You have far too many competitors (protozoans, rotifers, bacteria, etc.)

Phytoplankton is pretty tough. I just don't see the unavailability in nutrients killing off the algae in such short order, or as little as 12hours.

Have you ever cultured zooplankton before? They consume phytoplankton fairly quickly. In a reef tank, this should be consumed even quicker.

nomad6

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nanno- 4-6um
Isochysis - 4-8um
Tetraselmis - 9-10um

Not sure a 100 micron or filter floss would accomplish much.

Not sure why my post is upsetting you. No. You couldn't culture phytoplankton in a reef tank. You have far too many competitors (protozoans, rotifers, bacteria, etc.)

Phytoplankton is pretty tough. I just don't see the unavailability in nutrients killing off the algae in such short order, or as little as 12hours.

Have you ever cultured zooplankton before? They consume phytoplankton fairly quickly. In a reef tank, this should be consumed even quicker.
Ok bro change the narrative, reef tank conditions aren’t ideal for phytoplankton to thrive even you said it. That’s simply put what I meant. 100 micron or smaller as the cells clump up( or have you failed to notice the bottom of your phyto bottle?) not only nutrients but the filtration systems we run are detrimental to phyto(please read explanation above) without misconstruing my words. It’s upsetting because “know it alls” always have something to say contradictory to anything they don’t like or before understanding what is being said. Not everyone runs fully stocked tanks where consumption is maxed out. I was simply trying to help the OP before you interjected, with something that I had observed and experienced myself. We’re both from Texas so let’s leave it at a tip of the hat and call it a day.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not everyone asking a question is a know it all, maybe it reads like that but a question doesn't always mean your wrong, it's just a question, answer it if you know it or want to, that doesn't mean it's the right or wrong answer but often times on here a question is read into way to deep sometimes it's not necessary to read between the lines. friendly questions can go both ways :) :) hard to feel emotions in a line of text :) :)

GarrettT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s upsetting because “know it alls” always have something to say contradictory to anything they don’t like or before understanding what is being said.
If I see a comment that I don’t understand, I ask questions so that I can. It’s the only way to learn. What’s upsetting is when people make comments and then get mad when people ask questions about it.
I will bow out of this thread, as I don’t want to cause an interruption.

Back