Boxfish

dyno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, anyone here raised a cubicus boxfish? Got this new guy around 4". Is eating brine and mysis well. Also in the show is my 5/6 inch cowfish.

CD2974AE-3EC8-401C-B264-40BE92A1C2B6.jpeg

OP
OP
dyno

dyno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made sure he was eating before I bought him. I have only had success with boxfish by checking religiously first. My pride and joy was a blue box I had for several years.

OP
OP
dyno

dyno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So upset! He was eating and doing great this morning. I got back from an interview and he was gone. I love cowfish which seem much easier. I have had some "good luck" with boxfish to an extent but I am not loosing one again and will not buy any more. He had some discoloration on his body. Does anyone know what that is? How about you @Jay Hemdal can you help me identify what went wrong?

334C3EB9-4E10-4DFE-8E10-1BC25C6A6522.jpeg
73A4A0E6-6598-4EEA-A205-4F5AE166CC37.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So upset! He was eating and doing great this morning. I got back from an interview and he was gone. I love cowfish which seem much easier. I have had some "good luck" with boxfish to an extent but I am not loosing one again and will not buy any more. He had some discoloration on his body. Does anyone know what that is? How about you @Jay Hemdal can you help me identify what went wrong?

334C3EB9-4E10-4DFE-8E10-1BC25C6A6522.jpeg
73A4A0E6-6598-4EEA-A205-4F5AE166CC37.jpeg
Sorry to hear. That discoloration looks like it was post-mortem, but it sounds like it wasn't dead very long before you found it?

Jay

OP
OP
dyno

dyno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear. That discoloration looks like it was post-mortem, but it sounds like it wasn't dead very long before you found it?

Jay
He did have very little discoloration while alive too. Then after he died it was everywhere. Jay are boxfish super sensitive to copper? Even at a very low concentration?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He did have very little discoloration while alive too. Then after he died it was everywhere. Jay are boxfish super sensitive to copper? Even at a very low concentration?
Not low concentrations....like less than half dose. If you aren't REALLY careful, and go slightly over a full dose, you can cause them issues, but in using Coppersafe, I've never had an issue.

The cowfish didn't get at him did it? I recently added a school of mullet to a tank, and darn if the big cowfish didn't go after them all! Caught me totally off guard...he settled down the next day though.

Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Cows and box fish are not deemed long term and IMO should not be sold in the hobby. While there are some that have lived, many do eat and suddenly shut down to one day find it listless with eyes sunken in and perished.
Sorry for the loss.
As mentioned by Jay, even if no meeting, I doubt if there was much you could have done.

OP
OP
dyno

dyno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not low concentrations....like less than half dose. If you aren't REALLY careful, and go slightly over a full dose, you can cause them issues, but in using Coppersafe, I've never had an issue.

The cowfish didn't get at him did it? I recently added a school of mullet to a tank, and darn if the big cowfish didn't go after them all! Caught me totally off guard...he settled down the next day though.

Jay
Alright, thanks for the feed back. No it was in an isolation box by itself. Gotta love cowfish and their personalities. I can't believe how bold mine is too and how much he can and needs to eat everyday!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back