tbdh20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a quick cut of the filtration
IMG_4246.jpg

BPiers,

Congrats on the upgrade! Very clean, great planning and execution. I'm also looking into a ZeroEdge sump. Could you give me a little info, is it an off the shelf series 7 or custom? In your pics the partitions look red but in stock pics they look orange. Thanks, looking forward the transfer and updates.

OP
OP
BPiers

BPiers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BPiers,

Congrats on the upgrade! Very clean, great planning and execution. I'm also looking into a ZeroEdge sump. Could you give me a little info, is it an off the shelf series 7 or custom? In your pics the partitions look red but in stock pics they look orange. Thanks, looking forward the transfer and updates.

Thanks! The sump is their standard 36" dual sock sump, but as you pointed out--its made with red acrylic. I worked with Brett and Wanda at ZE and they did a great job of this customization. Maybe I got lucky but they didn't charge anything extra for this change. Awesome customer service.

I love how 100% of the water from the overflow must go through the filter socks. The 7" socks are incredibly large, and make a 4" sock look like the baby brother!
The lids keep the splash to virtually nil, and it came shipped via UPS packed like a priceless artifact. It took me about 20 minutes just to unpack the thing!!! Very impressed.

I'm overall very happy with the Zero Edge sump, though do have a few 'wish I woulda' thoughts:

1) The built in probe holder does not fit my Apex pH probe or temperature sensor. It does fit my salinity probe though. One suggested improvement to ZE is increase the bore out on the probe holder and include some nylon set screws for the probes. I ended up using my eschopps magnetic probe holder instead.

2) the geometry is slightly modified on my sump to accommodate my Vertex Alpha skimmer which has a larger footprint than the stock sump allows for. We moved the baffles on the right, to the right by several inches. What I didn't realize is that I could have simply slid the skimmer pump in-between the filter socks without modification of the sump geometry. This would have allowed for more room on the pump side. I'm using an external pump so it really doesn't matter, but now I don't have any other option.. External pump only. And since I'm using an ATO, the evaporation is automatically accounted for (moving the baffles decreased the area that is subject to evaporation).

3) the bulkheads that came with the sump didn't really seem to want to accept regular SCH40 PVC pipe without some serious elbow grease. If I had 3 extra slipXslip bulkheads around I would have used them for sure.

4) if you plan to do any kind of 2 or 3 part dosing, I'd want to try to integrate the effluent lines into the sump somehow. Would be a nice addition to a killer sump! I just used a dosing tube bracket and attached it to the side of the sump.

OP
OP
BPiers

BPiers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started the transfer today with a few test critters. We'll see how these fare before the main move over!
I also decided to add some more real estate to my apex board, so I re-did that and finally got my john guest push fitting bulkheads for my 3 part dosing system that I DIY'd. What do ya think!?
IMG_4283.jpg
IMG_4285.jpg
IMG_4286.jpg
IMG_4287.jpg

tbdh20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BPiers,

Thanks for your detail response. Everything looks great with the update! Keep them coming.

OP
OP
BPiers

BPiers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All livestock moved over to the new tank. I hadn't seen my Red Planet colony from this angle before. Grew it out from a little 1" frag!
Now I just need to reset the code on my Apex for my outlets since I changed a bunch of stuff around during the move. I also added a webcam :)
IMG_4290.jpg
IMG_4293.jpg
Screen Shot 2015-03-17 at 9.44.28 PM.jpg

tbdh20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad the transfer went smoothly, the aquascape and corals look great! With your review, gave Brett a call and had the same experience. Long story short, a new sump on the way! Thanks!

3Twinklets

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very Nice!! That is probably the prettiest sump I have ever seen. I also love your board.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks great!

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 153 75.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 16 7.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 30 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back