Brain coral looking sad

peterat33rpm

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 30, 2024
Messages
126
Reaction score
41
Location
Chapel Hill
What state or country do you live in
North Carolina
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My brain coral is usually pretty puffed up with feeders out, but the last day or so he’s looked really shrunken. Just sulking or should I be concerned? I recently switched from the Fluval marine light to an AI blade grow for my 30 gallon. It’s sitting flush with the lid, set to 50% blue and royal blue, 20% white with acclimation mode on (so 50% of that ramping up over 30 days, currently on day 3). I was worried about frying the corals but now I’m wondering should I bump it up some?

Nitrates 3, phos 0.03, Ca 450, mag 1320, Kh 10.1, salinity 1.025, ph 7.8

First pic is current, second is what he usually looks like

IMG_3584.jpeg
IMG_3540.jpeg
 
I look at mine sometimes and I'm like, "oh, mr. trachy is in a bad mood again today" lol. I don't pay much attention anymore, mine shrivels up and then balloons, sometimes for a few days at a time. I used to worry, but its been like that for years.

I wouldn't change anything, just give it a few more days. As long as you don't see the skeleton its fine (which I don't see on your pic). If it becomes so receded that you can see the skeleton, then something is wrong.
 
I look at mine sometimes and I'm like, "oh, mr. trachy is in a bad mood again today" lol. I don't pay much attention anymore, mine shrivels up and then balloons, sometimes for a few days at a time. I used to worry, but its been like that for years.

I wouldn't change anything, just give it a few more days. As long as you don't see the skeleton its fine (which I don't see on your pic). If it becomes so receded that you can see the skeleton, then something is wrong.

He was sulking to varying degrees day to day since I posted this, but I moved him to an area of slightly lower light which seemed to make him a little happier, and today my cleaner shrimp finally molted and I put the skeleton on top of the trachy which finally prompted him to open up and look great, it’s amazing how quickly the colors became super vibrant again!
 

Attachments

  • IMG_3628.jpeg
    IMG_3628.jpeg
    164.3 KB · Views: 41

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 3 50.0%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new