Brain-storming my canopy build

SallyWho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like some input from more experienced folks. I haven't built my canopy yet, and I need to, but I can't seem to settle on a solid plan. I'd decided to use Example #1 at http://www.reefaquarium.com/2013/building-aquarium-canopy/ because it's simple and seems easy enough for my amateur woodworking skills. Except for the one big problem of being able to access my lights. I have two Ecotech Radions which will orient longways across the middle on some rails that I bought, with a retrofitted T5 in front and in back. Once the whole thing is put together, I'll never be able to get the Radions out, and changing that back bulb will be a pain. Because I failed to listen to my wiser elders, I went ahead and built my stand 36" tall (I'll do better next time- 30" tall stand MAX), so with a 2' tall tank, that puts the tank lid right at forehead level for me. The canopy will be pretty high up there, and reaching that far back would be a heckuva challenge even with a step ladder. Then I thought maybe I'll just cut a hole in the side, so I can slide the radions out that way, but changing a T5 bulb from the short end of the tank also seems kind of stupid. So...what if I mounted the lights on a thinner piece of plywood, and mounted that plywood on a set of rails so that all the lighting fixtures can slide right out the front as one unit? I'd be able to slide the radions off the horizontal rails as needed, and change the T5s easier. But what kind of rails can I use that won't rust? And if I put the ballasts/power supply boxes for the radions on top of the canopy towards the back, will the weight be enough to counterbalance the lighting rack when it's pulled out? Or is this all harebrained and I need to come up with a completely different design of canopy? I've gone through the stand build threads on here which included a lot of canopy plans, too, and while they are all really cool, many are impractical for my needs, or beyond my ability to build. What are your thoughts?

George Lopez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the half swing because it gives you more access but I did just a front lift on mine because I didn't want the support on the front of the tank because it would always be wet when i work on the tank.

OP
OP
SallyWho

SallyWho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the half swing because it gives you more access but I did just a front lift on mine because I didn't want the support on the front of the tank because it would always be wet when i work on the tank.
A half swing? I'm not sure what you mean. Could you post a picture?

wmhaupfear

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The below pictures should explain what I think @George Lopez is referring to... Front Lift on the TOP and Half Swing on the BOTTOM
front lift.jpg half swing canopy.png

Jr'sReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1587.JPG

I made this, so that I can fit in the canopy if I needed to reach to the middle or back of the tank. 4ft wide tank so I didn’t just want a front door, but rather the whole front and some of the topside to move outa the way. Works for me. I used a piano hinge across the entire top.

Jr'sReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m thinking of maybe installing gas shocks for ease and convenience but haven’t gotten to it yet

OP
OP
SallyWho

SallyWho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The below pictures should explain what I think @George Lopez is referring to... Front Lift on the TOP and Half Swing on the BOTTOM
front lift.jpg half swing canopy.png
Oh, so that's the difference. Thanks!

IMG_1587.JPG

I made this, so that I can fit in the canopy if I needed to reach to the middle or back of the tank. 4ft wide tank so I didn’t just want a front door, but rather the whole front and some of the topside to move outa the way. Works for me. I used a piano hinge across the entire top.
I've got a sturdy piano hinge to use on the top already, so I'm good there at least.

How do you guys access your lights? The plan I referred to uses a half swing in the front, but I can only make the half swing so wide (front to back) before I take away the space on the top where I'm going to mount the front T5 bulb. Plus, I still won't be able to get my radions off the horizontal rails. Any ideas?

Jr'sReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have my lights mounted on the actual ceiling of the canopy. I have a few pieces of wood that run a few inches beneath it in which the lights are attached to.
IMG_9218.JPG
IMG_9221.JPG
these are photos of when I first built it. Cleaned up the excess wiring and added 6 48” T5’s to the canopy. Not sure if this helps with your build

OP
OP
SallyWho

SallyWho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have my lights mounted on the actual ceiling of the canopy. I have a few pieces of wood that run a few inches beneath it in which the lights are attached to.
IMG_9218.JPG
IMG_9221.JPG
these are photos of when I first built it. Cleaned up the excess wiring and added 6 48” T5’s to the canopy. Not sure if this helps with your build
Well, sort of. With the plan I was going to use (some of the images copied below, so you don't have to follow the link), the only real frame is the bottom one, so if I were to add wooden rails onto which to hang the radions, I'd have to use blocks to raise it off the surface of the lid board, and I still wouldn't be able to slide them off the rails. If I cut a door into the side board, then I still would have trouble changing that back bulb, either from the short side of the tank, or from the front of the half swing door. What do you think of my sliding rack idea? Too much for something that's supposed to be real simple?

Pic4_zpsdd3c89de1.jpg

pic5_zps0b5264bd1.jpg
Pic7_zpsc2237297.jpg

Ratherbeflyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you want the hood to touch the tank? Is wall mounting an option?

After my first tank, being able to get the hood out of the way to get into the tank was my biggest complaint. So on my new build, I used a pair of wall mounted tv stands with a custom pivot point that both moves the hood side to side and can flip up completely out of the way. Also a T5 led hybrid light.

IMG_20180701_222950.jpg

IMG_20180905_214830.jpg

IMG_20180921_233311.jpg

OP
OP
SallyWho

SallyWho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you want the hood to touch the tank? Is wall mounting an option?

After my first tank, being able to get the hood out of the way to get into the tank was my biggest complaint. So on my new build, I used a pair of wall mounted tv stands with a custom pivot point that both moves the hood side to side and can flip up completely out of the way. Also a T5 led hybrid light.

IMG_20180701_222950.jpg

IMG_20180905_214830.jpg

IMG_20180921_233311.jpg
Huh. Now there's an idea I hadn't considered. I already have a glass lid on the tank, so I wouldn't have to worry about jumpers or building the canopy tall enough to allow me to open the lid without hitting a bulb.....are those TV mounts super expensive? How did you hide the wires and ballasts/power supplies? How'd you do that custom pivot joint? It'd be super cool to scootch the canopy over a bit to place a coral, or flip it up to change bulbs or do tank maintenance. It'd be easier to put a door in the side, too, so I could slide the radions off their rails. Do you think it could be modified to flip up in increments?

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 7 20.6%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 27 79.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back