Branching GSP-questions

NE reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,
What are your thoughts on branching GSP? How easy is it to keep it contained to an island? Can I grow it under a toadstool? Should I just grow it my back glass? I’ve always been interested in a wall of GSP but have been Leary of it taking over my rock work, I made an impulse buy on a frag of branching GSP and now need to decide a place for it.
What are your thoughts?

it’s going into a 50 gallon corner tank.

thank you

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's completely taken over my 90g to the point where I need to replace the entire rock work. It's a vile weed.

Tuan’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I've only had GSP for 6 months so far and here's my experience with it. They start slow but once they start to grow , they will out grow just about everything. I love the look of GSP on the back wall but be prepared to do some pruning and maintainence to keep they growing all over.

OP
OP
N

NE reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a safer choice would be back wall. I’ll place it on the bottom third, figuring it will grow up towards the lights. does anyone have pictures on branching GSP on your back wall?

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything within 5" of the back wall runs the risk of being covered also. Keep a close eye and trim as necessary. Any minor piece left floating will grow wherever it lands.

OP
OP
N

NE reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will it grow around established corals or just bulldozer over them? I wouldn’t mind if it carpeted the tank as long as it doesn’t kill other corals

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will it grow around established corals or just bulldozer over them? I wouldn’t mind if it carpeted the tank as long as it doesn’t kill other corals
It will overtake them

OP
OP
N

NE reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve decided toAdd a small frag on the bottom 1/3 of my glass. Hopefully it’s going to branch out and spread. I’ve tried to align water movement along all glass surfaces. It’s not in direct contact with circulation pump, but inline with moderate flow. Is this ok?

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve decided toAdd a small frag on the bottom 1/3 of my glass. Hopefully it’s going to branch out and spread. I’ve tried to align water movement along all glass surfaces. It’s not in direct contact with circulation pump, but inline with moderate flow. Is this ok?
I've tried everything to make my tank uninhabitable for GSP. It'll be fine no matter.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like GSP. It took 5 years to cover back glass on this 75G tank. It got on my live rocks. I have almost completed removing GSP covered rocks for sales to local market.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 138

Reeftanktraveler

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a safer choice would be back wall. I’ll place it on the bottom third, figuring it will grow up towards the lights. does anyone have pictures on branching GSP on your back wall?
Start it low as it will grow towards the light. I use a brush to stop it at the top.

Attachments

• IMG_1665.JPG
    IMG_1665.JPG
    198 KB · Views: 113
Back