Brand New 8 gallon bio cube

12gallonsofhex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may be why I don't battle dinos. I let at least one side of my tank stay dirty with film algae. I let gha grow in spots. I never have an algae free tank.
I was foolish. When my tank went through the gha phase I scrubbed it all and syphoned it into a filter sock. If I end up rebooting it, I will do what you do.

OP
OP
Katrina71

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was foolish. When my tank went through the gha phase I scrubbed it all and syphoned it into a filter sock. If I end up rebooting it, I will do what you do.
I'm no expert by any means. I just know what works for me.

12gallonsofhex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20191120_080106662.jpg
Great photo!

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I now embrace algae. As long as it doesn't over run the tank. I've got 4 spots of gha. Most of it where my cuc won't go

GHA is how I beat out my Dinos on my original tank. Now I have bubble algae and GHA but I have a balance of CUC that keeps it in check. Personally I think the rationale that your tank should have 0 algae in it is comical. Algae is natural just like everything in our tank. The key is to find a balance between the growing algae and your natural methods of removing it, CUC, Fish inhabitants, etc within the tank... atleast IMO anyway...

I'll add that obviously there are some algae out there that is very difficult to keep in check and that's why letting easier to manage algae take over and out compete the harder stuff first is something that is talked about as being relatively effective method.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Katrina71

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You are humble because from where I am sitting you do in fact have expertise and experience that I am glad to benefit from.
You're kind. Believe me! I learn way more from y'all. Especially failures and struggles.

wallyg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 32gal biocude and just used the stock equipment that came with the biocube and all is working well. I would think about getting live sand or live rock to help with your cycling. I used live sand and was cycled within a month. As to fish my grandson loves the royal gramma I have and the maroon clownfish. I am not an expert by any means but this is what worked for me as well as being patient.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back