Brand New 8 gallon bio cube

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one of those! And a splitter. My only concern is to make sure not to contaminate my fishes qt with coral tank water or vise versa.

I also have a little powerhead with one of those long cylinder heads that have a bunch of holes in it that creates a ton of bubbles.
Full disclosure: I didn’t do anything to add extra oxygen except take some water out. The baffles in the back and gas exchange at the surface where it’s kinda choppy are the only way oxygen gets in my tank. Lowering the water level produces tiny bubbles though and this was obviously enough.
B0C27528-BDDF-44E8-8FDA-CE3781FD5F5C.jpeg

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Full disclosure: I didn’t do anything to add extra oxygen except take some water out. The baffles in the back and gas exchange at the surface where it’s kinda choppy are the only way oxygen gets in my tank. Lowering the water level produces tiny bubbles though and this was obviously enough.
B0C27528-BDDF-44E8-8FDA-CE3781FD5F5C.jpeg

That’s what I’m doing now but it’s lowered the flow a lot, especially with the other pump out. The oxygenation is definitely enough but I want to lower the stress on the frags. There have been too many changes the last couple of days.

Why-Me

Been going against the grain since I was a sapling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@living_tribunal
I've heard of others running their skimmer with the lid off to add air during red slime remover or chemi clean.
I believe when using airstones reefers like to use the limewood ones??
Can anyone verify this info??

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@living_tribunal
I've heard of others running their skimmer with the lid off to add air during red slime remover or chemi clean.
I believe when using airstones reefers like to use the limewood ones??
Can anyone verify this info??

I’ll figure something out where I can move the pump back in place. I just have the pump and airline tube though.

Could I almost just stick that in my hob filter with like a small pump outlet thing? I think the air pump just pumps little bursts of air.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll figure something out where I can move the pump back in place. I just have the pump and airline tube though.

Could I almost just stick that in my hob filter with like a small pump outlet thing? I think the air pump just pumps little bursts of air.

That will more than likely work, even placing the tube under the powerhead would work well, the powerhead would chop the bubble up into smaller ones and because it's not a constant stream of air, you won't have to deal with too many micro bubbles sticking to everything

Why-Me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
THANK YOU for all of the help when I started this hobby. I wouldn’t have had my tank up if it wasn’t for you.
You're welcome dude!
Make sure to do the same to a noob someday...frag it forward

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That will more than likely work, even placing the tube under the powerhead would work well, the powerhead would chop the bubble up into smaller ones and because it's not a constant stream of air, you won't have to deal with too many micro bubbles sticking to everything

I hooked up the old pump I first bought for this tank and it worked.

It’s not as good as an air pump but pushes small bursts of bubbles like this once every second and allows me to put the powerhead back in place.

FC289346-D742-41D9-A6AC-571DE85762EC.jpeg

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
13dkh and no, I don’t messs with that stuff nor dose, I don’t have to.

Is there a setup I can do with just airline tube @JoshH @Robin Haselden
13 is WAY too high. Get that back down to 10 or under. Probably why your duncans are ticked off.

Look up a wood air "stone". Those give you the micro bubbles.

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
13 is WAY too high. Get that back down to 10 or under. Probably why your duncans are ticked off.

Look up a wood air "stone". Those give you the micro bubbles.
I’m wondering that without dosing, how in the world is it that high? Could that be related to the P04 issue?

(the salt mix is the only other thing I could think of, and maybe that’s why water changes irritate those corals)

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m wondering that without dosing, how in the world is it that high? Could that be related to the P04 issue?

(the salt mix is the only other thing I could think of, and maybe that’s why water changes irritate those corals)
@living_tribunal
Red sea black bucket can sometimes mix that high. Stratified salt could mix even higher, doing a water change will only raise the tank more. Need to make fresh salt mix and test all parameters. Ca, Alk, Mg, NO3 and PO4

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@living_tribunal
Red sea black bucket can sometimes mix that high. Stratified salt could mix even higher, doing a water change will only raise the tank more. Need to make fresh salt mix and test all parameters. Ca, Alk, Mg, NO3 and PO4
Please explain stratified salt.

Why-Me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please explain stratified salt.
salt mix settles as it sits in the bucket and the heavier of the minerals in the mix sit a the bottom and the mix isn't mixed up good enough so the bottom of bucket or bag can get rich with those minerals and cause swings in your tank.

Why-Me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made 40 gal yesterday did a salinity test 1.026 perfect, checked alk with hannah checker 7.5 exactly.
I love TMP salt!!
Just has somewhat low alk so I spike my brute can to 9.5 and run the tank at 8.0-9.0 dkH. Making WC simple, my alk raises back to 9 every time I do WC.
This has been working well for me.
I start at 9.0 and 6-7 days later I'm at 8.0 and do WC and am back up to 8.8 to 9.0

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
salt mix settles as it sits in the bucket and the heavier of the minerals in the mix sit a the bottom and the mix isn't mixed up good enough so the bottom of bucket or bag can get rich with those minerals and cause swings in your tank.

So when I roll shake the bucket before every use is a good thing. And I was doing it because I believed settling was occuring. I'm a frickin genius and was clueless the whole time.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back