Brand New 8 gallon bio cube

Why-Me

Been going against the grain since I was a sapling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to make mine one day, mix salt the next, then change water on the 3rd day... my water is really cold out the tap right now, so it takes a while to get up to temp with the heaters in the Brute. I like to mix the salt at tank temp, and then circulate for a day to ensure thorough agitation has occurred.

I know that the salt is ready the instant the water turns clear, it's just what I like to do. In emergency cases, heat n eat... that's why I'd like a mixing station.
YOUR water is cold coming out of the tap??
Mine and @JoshH water comes out in ice cubes when we turn on the faucet this time of year :confused:

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To all the reef crystal haters, suck it.

4194B0DF-543B-4C03-94B8-1860E7BA9A39.jpeg

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tolerance of risk is greater than mine sir!

I’ll have to figure out how to make reef crystals work or do water changes scarcely.

Dosing will be a whole new challenge for me, I’ve been nervous about it since starting.

I just had no clue that it would be on the second month of having the display up.

I guess it’s a good sign if anything! Means the corals are happy and growing and also that stupid purple helix works.

Have I ever shared the pics of my first “display” a month after dosing purple helix? That stuff is insane.
Do share! Also, dosing by hand is completely fine. just do it every day around the same time and keep it consistent. Start small like @Robin Haselden said,
Don’t try to do any math and get your alk/Ca exactly where you want it the first time. I was really intimidated too when I first started out, but it’s really no big deal at all. If you can feed your corals you can dose your water.

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do share! Also, dosing by hand is completely fine. just do it every day around the same time and keep it consistent. Start small like @Robin Haselden said,
Don’t try to do any math and get your alk/Ca exactly where you want it the first time. I was really intimidated too when I first started out, but it’s really no big deal at all. If you can feed your corals you can dose your water.

Well I’m of course going to do the math to get things squared off nicely. I’m not going to just start dosing at some predefined limit and spot check it every few days.

Y’all saw how I handled phosphates, stay tuned for my alkalinity compulsiveness.

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
YOUR water is cold coming out of the tap??
Mine and @JoshH water comes out in ice cubes when we turn on the faucet this time of year :confused:
Well, I tried to find my over priced Hanna thermometer with the useless pH probe attached to it... but you know what my wife says about me losing things.

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I tried to find my over priced Hanna thermometer with the useless pH probe attached to it... but you know what my wife says about me losing things.

Let me iterate it for those who are unaware: @Robin Haselden would lose their brain if it weren’t attached.

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I’m of course going to do the math to get things squared off nicely. I’m not going to just start dosing at some predefined limit and spot check it every few days.

Y’all saw how I handled phosphates, stay tuned for my alkalinity compulsiveness.
Well obviously you want it squared away! But don’t try to fix it with the first dose is all I’m saying.

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well obviously you want it squared away! But don’t try to fix it with the first dose is all I’m saying.

Every time I dose something new, I always go half the dose I intend to do. It’s more so a measurement period until I get a reliable daily absorption rate.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 124 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.5%
Back