Brand New 8 gallon bio cube

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can be crucial to have a backup, I don't know that I'll plumb mine in directly just yet if I get one but who knows. Basement sumps can be awesome but things like return pumps can add to the costs SIGNIFICANTLY. $1000 for reliable AC pumps or $2000 for DC options, having a backup certainly makes you pause for a minute on the wallet side of things
Holy **** Batman! I’ll stick to my little nano tank, $26.99 for a new return ;Hilarious

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holy **** Batman! I’ll stick to my little nano tank, $26.99 for a new return ;Hilarious

Well the Reeflos are only $450 so that's a bit more manageable, but the replacement Seals are like $100 CAD and you have to replace them on average every 1-2 years, so that adds up quickly..

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the Reeflos are only $450 so that's a bit more manageable, but the replacement Seals are like $100 CAD and you have to replace them on average every 1-2 years, so that adds up quickly..
Just sell a kidney and get it over with ;)

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the Tax return will be going to my return pump fund instead of the vacation fund:p Ssshhhhhhhh don't tell the wife! ;Muted
You just need to upsell that decision to her...

“honey, its really like getting to take a vacation in the living room every day... Just think of what it’s doing for the kids!”

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You just need to upsell that decision to her...

“honey, its really like getting to take a vacation in the living room every day... Just think of what it’s doing for the kids!”

You know they could go snorkeling in the tank till they were like 5... hummm, free swimming lessons...

OP
OP
Katrina71

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I hope going with a standard stand height isn't a regret, but after measuring, we both decided 36" plus 24" tank is too tall for us. We even taped off the measurements on the wall next to my existing tank for comparison. The center overflow in the Miracle is the absolute furthest we felt comfortable with for maintenance.

OP
OP
Katrina71

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Some of our planning was strictly my husband's preference. Internal overflow was one of those. It'll be fun tweaking this tank with some DIY like y'all have done to make things quieter, more accessible, and more efficient.

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I'm going to pre drill holes in some of our rock for frag plugs. No more sand plugs!
Most times I just take the frags off the plugs and glue them to the rock. I have even done that to encrusted SPS frags. I just cut them at the bottom and set the encrusted plug in my frag rack. Then I would have one in the tank snd another to trade when the plug grows out. Personally, I don’t care to see plugs in my reef, especially those black plastic “golf tee” plugs.

Last edited:

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope going with a standard stand height isn't a regret, but after measuring, we both decided 36" plus 24" tank is too tall for us. We even taped off the measurements on the wall next to my existing tank for comparison. The center overflow in the Miracle is the absolute furthest we felt comfortable with for maintenance.
Your overflow will have a cover, so you may not even need to go in there. My two on my 140 were open at the top and I had algae that would grow in the overflow that had to be thinned out every now and then, but yours shouldn't have that issue.

How high did you go with the stand? I hope you will have enough room inside to do everything you want.

Back