Brand New 8 gallon bio cube

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like half the value of my water change is using the siphon to suck up detritus from the bottom. I’ll turn my flow off, grab the turkey baster, and blow off my rocks and sandbed to get everything to one spot. Then siphon from there. Obviously that isn’t as feasible to regularly do on a larger tank though, and the concept of an easy water change is very appealing!
For me it’s just replacing the trace elements so I don’t have to dose them and not know where the heck I’m at with them

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can still vacuum the sand and rocks on a monthly basis with a water change and still do weekly water swaps like I was talking about. @Katrina71 actually pointed this out to me last week when we were talking about auto water changes. :)

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can draw up a diagram of you wish but it's pretty straightforward. Essentially you build your manifold with however many outlets you feel you may need, in my case I had 4. 2 for reactors, one spare and one for water changes. These are fed by a pump of your choosing. Just think of it like building a manifold into your return line, but the end of the manifold just stops and doesn't continue into the tank. GPH will greatly depend on what you would like to run off the manifold, your pump has to provide the right amount of flow for all the outlets in use. DC pumps are great for this as you can ramp up the flow when you have a lot of the outlets in use or tone it back when you don't. I used an AC pump (Mag 7) on mine as it was mostly just for carbon and WC's so a specific flow wasn't really required and I used gate valves to fine tune the flow when needed.

Just a basic drawing to give you an idea...
Screenshot_20200125-161215_Samsung Notes.jpg

OP
OP
Katrina71

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I can draw up a diagram of you wish but it's pretty straightforward. Essentially you build your manifold with however many outlets you feel you may need, in my case I had 4. 2 for reactors, one spare and one for water changes. These are fed by a pump of your choosing. Just think of it like building a manifold into your return line, but the end of the manifold just stops and doesn't continue into the tank. GPH will greatly depend on what you would like to run off the manifold, your pump has to provide the right amount of flow for all the outlets in use. DC pumps are great for this as you can ramp up the flow when you have a lot of the outlets in use or tone it back when you don't. I used an AC pump (Mag 7) on mine as it was mostly just for carbon and WC's so a specific flow wasn't really required and I used gate valves to fine tune the flow when needed.

Just a basic drawing to give you an idea...
Screenshot_20200125-161215_Samsung Notes.jpg
I was actually right in my thinking then.

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@JoshH do you have a backup return pump?

(just curious, you have a huge system!)

I honestly haven't given much thought to the backup return pump yet, I haven't decided on my primary pump so a back up will follow. For the backup now that we are talking about it I think I will use my original planned return pump which was a Reeflo Yellowtail. As a backup it will work perfectly, the Seal issue won't be a problem if it's only run as a backup when needed.

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly haven't given much thought to the backup return pump yet, I haven't decided on my primary pump so a back up will follow. For the backup now that we are talking about it I think I will use my original planned return pump which was a Reeflo Yellowtail. As a backup it will work perfectly, the Seal issue won't be a problem if it's only run as a backup when needed.
So, yes! Lol

I’ve already seen how crucial having 2 returns is, I’ve had a failure twice now...(got the tank used). fortunately it was fine to run with just one of them for a while. But now I have an extra ready to go just in case, I learned my lesson ;Dead

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, yes! Lol

I’ve already seen how crucial having 2 returns is, I’ve had a failure twice now...(got the tank used). fortunately it was fine to run with just one of them for a while. But now I have an extra ready to go just in case, I learned my lesson ;Dead

It can be crucial to have a backup, I don't know that I'll plumb mine in directly just yet if I get one but who knows. Basement sumps can be awesome but things like return pumps can add to the costs SIGNIFICANTLY. $1000 for reliable AC pumps or $2000 for DC options, having a backup certainly makes you pause for a minute on the wallet side of things

Last edited:

Why-Me

Been going against the grain since I was a sapling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
President of our local reefing group and forum TCMAS, just posted this today...pretty darn neat.

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It actually worked out better in the end.

Gotta love mistakes with happy endings!

I'll admit probably the biggest mistake I've had with my build thus far has been my drain plumbing size. I went with 1" and I should have gone with 1 1/2".

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 80 87.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back