OP
Katrina71

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Manifolds, PVC, yada yada... Y'all know we would like to plan ahead for additions. UV sterilizer, CO2 scrubber, that kind of thing. What are some things you wish you had planned from the beginning? Is there something that worked especially well? I'd like to add a lot of stuff from the beginning (or plan for it) so it will be almost a literal plug-n-play. Any suggestions are welcome. I'm sure there are things I've overlooked.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Manifolds, PVC, yada yada... Y'all know we would like to plan ahead for additions. UV sterilizer, CO2 scrubber, that kind of thing. What are some things you wish you had planned from the beginning? Is there something that worked especially well? I'd like to add a lot of stuff from the beginning (or plan for it) so it will be almost a literal plug-n-play. Any suggestions are welcome. I'm sure there are things I've overlooked.
Refugium is what I wish I would have thought about.

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with a dedicated additional pump (Current eFlux) just to run my manifold. It has 5 outlets that feed the following:
• Algae Turf Scrubber
• UV Sterilizer
• Remote Refugium / Frag Tank
• Chiller (something I already had from the metal halide days)
• Large Siporax Reactor (a repurposed Geo Kalk Reactor)

Manifold - All components are attached to the manifold with True-Union Valves for quick shut off. I will have gate valves close to each component that requires adjustable flow. Having the True-Unions, I can switch things around or substitute components if I decide to go to something else. I could have added another extra outlet, but I didn't have the room. I also have extra valves to use for parts in the future. If I need to clean a valve body, I can remove it and replace it with another one while I clean the one that was dirty or needed maintenance. I did that because these valves are not easy to get.

DSC00210.JPG

Dedicated Manifold Pumo

DSC00207.JPG

Remote Refugium / Frag Tank (excuse the construction mess). The large tank on the bottom is my ATO reservoir - in case I take a world cruise at some point. :) It is 29 gallons. The refugium is a 20 long with a BML Refugium light on it at present. You can also see the UV lamp and the Siporax Reactor sitting on the floor. The chiller is way in the back, but you can't see it in this picture.

This is all behind my tank. It sits at an angle in one corner of my living room. I can walk behind the tank and has access to everything. Some things are easier than others to get to. :)

DSC00008.JPG

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with a dedicated additional pump (Current eFlux) just to run my manifold. It has 5 outlets that feed the following:
• Algae Turf Scrubber
• UV Sterilizer

Manifold - All components are attached to the manifold with True-Union Valves for quick shut off. I will have gate valves close to each component that requires adjustable flow. Having the True-Unions, I can switch things around or substitute components if I decide to go to something else. I could have added another extra outlet, but I didn't have the room. I also have extra valves to use for parts in the future. If I need to clean a valve body, I can remove it and replace it with another one while I clean the one that was dirty or needed maintenance. I did that because these valves are not easy to get.

DSC00210.JPG

Dedicated Manifold Pumo

DSC00207.JPG

Remote Refugium / Frag Tank (excuse the construction mess). The large tank on the bottom is my ATO reservoir - in case I take a world cruise at some point. :) It is 29 gallons. The refugium is a 20 long with a BML Refugium light on it at present. You can also see the UV lamp and the Siporax Reactor sitting on the floor. The chiller is way in the back, but you can't see it in this picture.

This is all behind my tank. It sits at an angle in one corner of my living room. I can walk behind the tank and has access to everything. Some things are easier than others to get to. :)

DSC00008.JPG

Nice oxydator! ;)

Thank you, I love your manifold and I'm not really an equipment person, very easy water changes connected to that but what I really love is the siporax reactor, that is a great logical idea and I will try this at some point, thanks! :)

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice oxydator! ;)

Thank you, I love your manifold and I'm not really an equipment person, very easy water changes connected to that but what I really love is the siporax reactor, that is a great logical idea and I will try this at some point, thanks! :)
I will have a large ceramic Oxydator somewhere in the display and two of the smaller ones in the sump and remote refugium. Really looking forward to putting those to use. For those that are not familiar with them, they contain a higher percentage of Hydrogen Peroxide (like around 9%) and a catalyst (or multiple ones) that release oxygen into the aquarium water in a time-release fashion.

This is the "Siporax Reactor" that I made from a GEO Kalk Reactor that I never used. I think I got about 6 liters of media in there. I wanted the additional bio-surface area because I am planning on only using about 75 pounds of Pukani rock in the display. I wanted less rock in this tank than what I have had in the past. I still have probably 200 pounds of old dry Fiji rock laying around if I need to add more.

DSC09821.JPG

I drilled the holes in the top out to accept 1/2" bulkheads. I have hose barbs in this picture, but it will be hard plumbed to the manifold. George at GEO saw these pics in another thread and gave me a thumbs up for the mod. :)

DSC09822.JPG

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will have a large ceramic Oxydator somewhere in the display and two of the smaller ones in the sump and remote refugium. Really looking forward to putting those to use. For those that are not familiar with them, they contain a higher percentage of Hydrogen Peroxide (like around 9%) and a catalyst (or multiple ones) that release oxygen into the aquarium water in a time-release fashion.

This is the "Siporax Reactor" that I made from a GEO Kalk Reactor that I never used. I think I got about 6 liters of media in there. I wanted the additional bio-surface area because I am planning on only using about 75 pounds of Pukani rock in the display. I wanted less rock in this tank than what I have had in the past. I still have probably 200 pounds of old dry Fiji rock laying around if I need to add more.

DSC09821.JPG

I drilled the holes in the top out to accept 1/2" bulkheads. I have hose barbs in this picture, but it will be hard plumbed to the manifold. George at GEO saw these pics in another thread and gave me a thumbs up for the mod. :)

DSC09822.JPG

I believe if I seed the siporax in the big tank I could run the puddle with little or no macro! ;)

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

DSC09821.JPG

DSC09822.JPG

I remembered I had this from a lot of years ago, watch this space! :)

DSC_0074 (1024x895) (2).jpg

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Years ago I had this idea for quick water changes. I would hook a 5-gallon container (with a DIY inlet and outlet on quick auto shut-off disconnects) to a dedicated small pump in the sump and drain it back to the sump. This would just continue to cycle water through the container until I wanted to do a water change. Then I would just disconnect the container and replace it with another identically outfitted container with 5 gallons of fresh saltwater. Dump the old container and refill it with fresh saltwater, ready for the next water change. If I have room behind my tank, I might implement this on the new system. I actually have a couple of containers all ready to go. :)

DSC00212.JPG

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How was your last day working for the MAN
You talking to me? If so, I still have a couple of work days and a retirement luncheon on Wednesday. After that lunch I am done. They are picking up my company car and computer equipment.

Then I have a bottle of 1993 vintage Dom Perignon in the wine cooler that we will kill - if it hasn’t gone bad. :) It has been stored well though, so we will see.

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My uv sterilizer has been clutch many many times. Other than that, a lot of biodiversity (get yourself a big order from ipsf for all of their bacteria, pods, and full invert package. Never had to deal with algae yet and I think it’s because of this) and other bacteria from anywhere you can get your hands on.

I have had a lot of success seeding purple helix as well. Some aren’t eager to get Coraline though.

I also got some phyto pod and copepod external culture kits recently, I love these things! Sometimes it pays not having to learn stuff the hard way.

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
• Algae Turf Scrubber
• UV Sterilizer

DSC00210.JPG

Dedicated Manifold Pumo

DSC00207.JPG

DSC00008.JPG

So you’re one of those guys with a dream set up. Sheesh it’s pretty man

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Years ago I had this idea for quick water changes. I would hook a 5-gallon container (with a DIY inlet and outlet on quick auto shut-off disconnects) to a dedicated small pump in the sump and drain it back to the sump. This would just continue to cycle water through the container until I wanted to do a water change. Then I would just disconnect the container and replace it with another identically outfitted container with 5 gallons of fresh saltwater. Dump the old container and refill it with fresh saltwater, ready for the next water change. If I have room behind my tank, I might implement this on the new system. I actually have a couple of containers all ready to go. :)

DSC00212.JPG
I feel like half the value of my water change is using the siphon to suck up detritus from the bottom. I’ll turn my flow off, grab the turkey baster, and blow off my rocks and sandbed to get everything to one spot. Then siphon from there. Obviously that isn’t as feasible to regularly do on a larger tank though, and the concept of an easy water change is very appealing!

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.8%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 17.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 42.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back