Brand New 8 gallon bio cube

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm caught back up now, rough week... I've been sick more this winter than I have in my entire life...

@Katrina71 I'm sure Gonzo will turn up soon. He's small, have you checked the overflow? Filter socks?

@Will Godfrey your shells are bleached, I'm soaking them in vinegar now to make sure all the bleach is gone then I'll mail them to you.

OP
OP
Katrina71

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok Biocube guys, @Scurvy @Mikedawg what do y'all think about stock LED lighting on the 32 for an anemone? Down the road obviously, but just wanting to know if I need to upgrade lighting before we even think about it.

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What Pars are you putting out on the Stock light? Also depends on what kind of anemone you were looking at.

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
53 to 81 max

I have found Anemones like a little more light than 81. More towards 2x-3x that amount. Mine currently have slowly moved themselves to 300-350 par and are growing and seeing colors like I would believe. I also feel that the amount of tentacles has doubled since it moved up their.

Now I can not say if my findings are due to the light, due to the fact I feed a whole krill to each of the 3 Anemones every other day, and the 4 clowns always feed it at feeding time (twice a day) and I have ALOT of NO3 and PO4 in the water. Add a lot of random flow to that and they become beautiful, and large.

But to answer your question, you may need a better light to keep an Anemone if any sorts.
IMG_0433.jpg

IMG_0433.jpg

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok Biocube guys, @Scurvy @Mikedawg what do y'all think about stock LED lighting on the 32 for an anemone? Down the road obviously, but just wanting to know if I need to upgrade lighting before we even think about it.
I would not try a Nem with the stock light. Just not enough power in it. Off the top of me head i think i remember a peak par of 65/70 and a much lower average. The power compacts in the 29 more than likely pack more punch.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wasn’t the 81 par 12 in from the Light?
And this is for the new cube ?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha , I’d wait to add one in that tank anyway honestly.

A fwiw to lessen Light confusion.
If a Light has X par at Y distance , the closer you get to the light the more par you get. The farther away the less you get.
Common sense I know but....

When you see the multiple par numbers in tank , it’s due to reflections absorption blockage etc.
Light travels evenly in a field, and so does par for the most part. Only color blending with leds changes it. (Spectrum)

So if you have 300 at the top and 100 on the bottom , you have to have 200 in the middle of the field.

It’s only higher or lower if a rock blocks it , or is bright white , or dark brown.

That why I’m only care about what I get at the top and bottom when I set it up

That’s why now I only meter at the top.
If I add 50 par to the top, I’ve added 50 to the bottom.
And I don’t want to get my meter wet.

Will Godfrey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm caught back up now, rough week... I've been sick more this winter than I have in my entire life...

@Katrina71 I'm sure Gonzo will turn up soon. He's small, have you checked the overflow? Filter socks?

@Will Godfrey your shells are bleached, I'm soaking them in vinegar now to make sure all the bleach is gone then I'll mail them to you.
ok thanks so much.. I was just thinking about that. 2 of my crabs have died :(

Back