Brand New 8 gallon bio cube

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All RFA and plate corals look ok. The decorator crab evidently took advantage of the situation and changed into some zoas or palys. I hope they match his yellow sponge.

I was curious about the rock flowers. That seems more likely than a mushroom.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the consistent things in the tank has been lingerng Cyano

When the nopox was dosed last year , we assumed it was oxygen depravation.

The cube and lid has made me wonder about oxygenation and co2 for some time.

Had wondered if the furnace has begun to run this time last year as well. I can’t think of anything else that would be seasonal.

@Katrina71 , I forget , you’re running a skimmer in the cube now?

OP
OP
Katrina71

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
One of the consistent things in the tank has been lingerng Cyano

When the nopox was dosed last year , we assumed it was oxygen depravation.

The cube and lid has made me wonder about oxygenation and co2 for some time.

Had wondered if the furnace has begun to run this time last year as well. I can’t think of anything else that would be seasonal.

@Katrina71 , I forget , you’re running a skimmer in the cube now?
Cyano isn't an issue in mine, but the other tank yes. I was wondering the same thing about the timing.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The skimmer is something I also asked right away.

A small skimmer should fit in the back compartment if the biocube. It doesn't matter if it's removing skimmate so long as it's keeping pH high, and aerating the water.

Rinse your skimmer out, shove it in the back section, and plug it in. That's all you do.

If it starts overflowing immediately, raise the skimmer. If it produces none in a few days, lower it.

Put put the thing in. It's one if the most useful tools for our tanks. Even if not properly functional, it will be doing a lot for the tanks health

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Explain the skimmer pH thing.
Standing tap water in a glass in your living room will come into equilibrium with the room air and co2 levels.
Running an air stone from a pump in the same room will add oxygen to the glass. But the co2 content and ph will remain the same.
If that glass of tap water has a fish in it , the fish is using the oxygen but adding co2.
If run the air pump outside the house into the glass in the living room , it has more oxygen and less co2.

So a skimmer in the tank is still adding oxygen to the water but may only be reducing co2 in the water a very little bit.

If co2 is added to the room air (furnace or lots of people ) and pumped into the tank , the ph goes down as the co2 goes up. More c02 in the room also less o2.

With a lid on the tank , the natural gas exchange from the waters surface is lessened. But for most with the same tank it’s not a concern. That’s why yours is an interesting case. IF this is the problem, why do you have more co2 in the house, and why this time of year is there an apperantly similar problem. Thus the furnace Q.

OP
OP
Katrina71

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Standing tap water in a glass in your living room will come into equilibrium with the room air and co2 levels.
Running an air stone from a pump in the same room will add oxygen to the glass. But the co2 content and ph will remain the same.
If that glass of tap water has a fish in it , the fish is using the oxygen but adding co2.
If run the air pump outside the house into the glass in the living room , it has more oxygen and less co2.

So a skimmer in the tank is still adding oxygen to the water but may only be reducing co2 in the water a very little bit.

If co2 is added to the room air (furnace or lots of people ) and pumped into the tank , the ph goes down as the co2 goes up. More c02 in the room also less o2.

With a lid on the tank , the natural gas exchange from the waters surface is lessened. But for most with the same tank it’s not a concern. That’s why yours is an interesting case. IF this is the problem, why do you have more co2 in the house, and why this time of year is there an apperantly similar problem. Thus the furnace Q.
Exactly why I planned to drill holes in my hood. Just to see. I thought I understood that correctly.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back