Brand New 8 gallon bio cube

Petco says any tank over 30 gallons is classified as LARGE. For example, Pacu need a tank of at least 30+ gallons, as seen below;

Pacu.jpg



So In your new tank you could have a school of vlamingi or maybe unicorn tangs
The great Tang debate...you've seen lots of tanks. Do you think Tangs stay small if you start young and keep them in a smaller tank? Strickly from your observations.
 
The great Tang debate...you've seen lots of tanks. Do you think Tangs stay small if you start young and keep them in a smaller tank? Strickly from your observations.

Yes, and they grow all messed up with bad spines, and typically become very aggressive and constantly stressed. The only times I've seen tangs work in small tanks is when they're disabled and can't utilize much room efficiently.
 
Yes, and they grow all messed up with bad spines, and typically become very aggressive and constantly stressed. The only times I've seen tangs work in small tanks is when they're disabled and can't utilize much room efficiently.
Pretty much exactly what I expected.
 
@Rakie I know someone that adopted a yellow Tang from a Biocube and put it in a 65 gallon tank. It genuinely seems happy there. I guess the stress reduction was a blessing. I assume that is the reason anyway.

yellow tang are among the smallest. they can be happy for life in about a 120 gallon IMO. 65 is still small, but mostly they need a footprint of at least 4', not so much a certain amount of gallons.
 
@Musovski -- Powder blue tangs are possibly the most sickly fish on earth. They are also outrageously aggressive towards other tangs. Keep an extremely close eye on that one. Very often they get stressed and give the whole tank ich, even if they've been quarantined they can develop illness.

They are one of the true "ticking time bombs" you can buy.

It's not guaranteed to go wrong of course, but watch carefully. Especially if you didn't QT him.
 
I have a hard time sleeping before something fun like that too. My wife, meh 5 min and out. I just plumbing my dads tank tomorrow and I’ll have trouble sleeping thinking about it.
Me too. All we get to do tomorrow is bring her home and give her a bath!
 
Yes, and they grow all messed up with bad spines, and typically become very aggressive and constantly stressed. The only times I've seen tangs work in small tanks is when they're disabled and can't utilize much room efficiently.
which is why i ordered a new tank good enough for all my tangs.
 
I can tell you that a gold spot rabbit fish will get at least 10" long in a 45xh. I rescued one and put it in my 180. It was a baby. Loved it. Had to let it go when it broke 12" and got thicker. He went to live his remaining days in a 750

I want another one but know better.

I really wish I could find the videos and pics of him.
 
@Musovski -- Powder blue tangs are possibly the most sickly fish on earth. They are also outrageously aggressive towards other tangs. Keep an extremely close eye on that one. Very often they get stressed and give the whole tank ich, even if they've been quarantined they can develop illness.

They are one of the true "ticking time bombs" you can buy.

It's not guaranteed to go wrong of course, but watch carefully. Especially if you didn't QT him.
he was qt'd at the lfs with copper and some other thing, im running UV right now so hopefully ich wont spread too fast. I know it bound to happen. However i didnt know that they were as aggressive as people said. Ill watch it. thanks for the heads up rakie
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 26 18.3%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 50 35.2%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.1%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new