Brand New 8 gallon bio cube

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you!
BTW I know I know I need to frag the rasta zoas and get rid of the GHA.
I haven't any fragging equipment yet.
I frag zoas with a box cutter soo.... ;Bored:p

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy tank maintenance day. Lol. Hope you all are having a lovely weekend.
Water change day on the 90 and the dropoff. Emptied sump, vacuumed detritus and removed about half the chaeto in the 90, and pumped out and replaced about 90% of the water in the dropoff. Also, I may have found spots for the mangroves!

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SPAM

81819.jpg
Type of zoa??;Drool

12gallonsofhex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back flow depends on how far down your return nozzles are below the water line. If the return pump shuts off they could possibly create a siphon if they are pointing down.

Happened to me the other day. I have a siphon break drilled into the tee in the return at the top of my overflow box... right before it splits into the two lock lines. Salt creep got to it and plugged the hole off so when I went to feed the fish I noticed the water kept going down in the display and the sump kept getting higher. I turned the return back on to pump water up, then unclogged the siphon break.

I also moved the return nozzles up so that can't happen again.
I had the same problem with salt creep in the small vent hole I drilled into the return nozzle. I now rub the salt off every couple of days and it has not been an issue...yet

Jay Tosi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am brand new to saltwater. My son got an 8 gallon bio cube. I know this is too small, but I promised I'd try. I have 1 piece of dead coral for decor and that's it. We hope to have 2 tiny fish and maybe 2 shrimp. We also like hermit crabs. What equipment, substrate would you guys suggest? I'd like to use easy (forgiving) live macro algae to help balance this tank. Please be kind with responses. I have been called names elsewhere and was referred here to learn.
Definitly some carib sea live sand that stuff is cash ;0

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pink Zippers!
That's what I thought as well but could not find a close match. All the zippers had speckles. Old school aog pink was the closest I could find. Would really love a name so I could get my reef geek on

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same problem with salt creep in the small vent hole I drilled into the return nozzle. I now rub the salt off every couple of days and it has not been an issue...yet

I solved this issue with my last tank by installing a small valve at the top of my return instead of drilling a hole. Set it to a small trickle and never looked back. A siphon hole needs to be larger than most people would like to prevent salt creep. Setting the return outlet to JUST below the water line will work much better than a siphon break hole will as mentioned earlier.

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 32.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back