Brand New 8 gallon bio cube

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you guys have to realize that while we (younger generations im turning 22 on wednesday) all we heard in school was get a degree or youll be homeless we werent really taught manual labor jobs and tech school careers were a good and viable career choice they dont tell us that growing up its all "go to university or ur toast kid"
Yep, I'm 34, graduated high school in 03, and we heard the same thing. College or you'll be homeless. It's a shame.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you guys have to realize that while we (younger generations im turning 22 on wednesday) all we heard in school was get a degree or youll be homeless we werent really taught manual labor jobs and tech school careers were a good and viable career choice they dont tell us that growing up its all "go to university or ur toast kid"
Yep. Its really sad. My brother was told the same thing. Tried college twice and dropped out twice. Scored 32 on act they really pushed him hard. Now he works as a fabricator and fire suppression systems making more than most with a college degrees.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm a little older than you are and I was told the exact same thing unfortunately. It's a real shame so little emphasis is put on good paying hard working jobs.

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I work for as a commercial pest control tech. I dont make six figures but I am well paid. I also have a a degree in business and a year in theology. I kill bugs and looked down at because of the image of exterminators. For a while I was almost Embarrassed to be an bug guy. Now I embrace it.
Absolutely nothing wrong with being "the bug guy." (He was one of the coolest guys when I was a kid. Much cooler than the meter reader guy.)

SighKenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely nothing wrong with being "the big guy." (He was one of the coolest guys when I was a kid. Much cooler than the meter reader guy.)
i still think the bug guy is pretty cool for being so ballsy
i see a roach and go the other directoin

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i still think the bug guy is pretty cool for being so ballsy
i see a roach and go the other directoin
Roaches are nothing. Bed bugs and rats I believe I'd hate to have to deal with. Under a house getting rid of a den of snakes... a family of possums. I can think of a bunch of stuff worse than just roaches.

SighKenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Roaches are nothing. Bed bugs and rats I believe I'd hate to have to deal with. Under a house getting rid of a den of snakes... a family of possums. I can think of a bunch of stuff worse than just roaches.
i love snakes, ended up having a pet rat and i think opossums are adorable since i dealt with them livin in the country i cant dealllll with bed bugs though i saw a infestation video once and had to look all over my house

Kimberely

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spam
0820192022b-01.jpeg

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All that and more mama raccoon in attic with babies. Thats intense.

A life lesson dont open your mouth under a sink full roaches.

Worst part of the job is finding deceased individuals. Happened once. That was enough.

SighKenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All that and more mama raccoon in attic with babies. Thats intense.

A life lesson dont open your mouth under a sink full roaches.

Worst part of the job is finding deceased individuals. Happened once. That was enough.
woah are you serious? youve found dead people on the job?

Why-Me

Been going against the grain since I was a sapling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both sides have good points
I'll speak from the middle here
I will push my daughter to go to college, I know what it's like to literally break my back working hard manual labor my whole life and to work for a company that doesn't give a **** about you and then pushes you out the door once you're not useful to them anymore.
When my back went I was 30/31 years old and was making $12/hr.....in retrospect not worth it.
If I had gone to school I likely wouldn't have to go through vocational rehabilitation halfway through life. I have zero 401k zero retirement to speak of and starting all over at 37 years old. (I don't regret not going to college, just retrospective look)
At a young age I was taught the value of a dollar and that manual labor is the moving force that built this entire country; go get mine...I did that but broke myself as well. There's a fine line to balance. I mean we all can't be hard manual labor grunts. And we all can't be paper pushers or on the phones in an office building. Problem here is if my daughter stays here she will have zero future unless she wants to work at a gas station, walmart, subway or mc donalds.
Minneapolis & St. Paul are just an hour away with sooooooo many career opportunities for her/us.

That being said there's nothing wrong with being the bug guy or being the auto repairman or being a factory worker...whatever pays the bills, keeps food on the table and roof over the head is all that matters. I don't judge yall, my previous job was running an industrial gluing machine to make cabinet panels, table tops, mouldings that are made for menards, home depot, ashley furniture etc.
It's going to be so foreign to me being in an office setting, doing sedentary work from now on, and for more $$ than I was making breaking my back.
Also isn't it a parents' job to strive for their kids to do better than they did?...progression/evolution.

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure have, I go into apartments. The individual that I found the police thought it was a homicide. Since I walked into the apartment and went up to the individual and saw she was dead, the police had me stay at the complex for 4hrs.

She was **** from the waist down facing a wall. The she apartment was trashed ans broken planting pots and soil all over the place.

Turned out her and her son had a very heated argument and ended up throwing stuff at each other. She later died of a heart attack.
woah are you serious? youve found dead people on the job?

SighKenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure have, I go into apartments. The individual that I found the police thought it was a homicide. Since I walked into the apartment and went up to the individual and saw she was dead, the police had me stay at the complex for 4hrs.

She was **** from the waist down facing a wall. The she apartment was trashed ans broken planting pots and soil all over the place.

Turned out her and her son had a very heated argument and ended up throwing stuff at each other. She later died of a heart attack.
wow thats insane

Kimberely

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No amount of money is worth your health. I'm an LPN. I made decent money working in nursing homes. But I stayed stressed out and sick constantly. They run state minimum staff which is NOT enough. All I had time for with 40 patients was "Hi. How are you? Here's your pills. Roll over and let me slap a bandaid on your butt. See ya later." And I stayed depressed because I never could master the art of detachment. So when I lost a patient, it felt like losing a family member. I'm working in home health now, but I'd rather flip burgers than go back to work in a nursing home. $17 per hour isn't worth it anymore.

OP
OP
Katrina71

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just barely see it. My lfs was selling off his black widow nems (i think thats the name). I wanted to get one, but they were huge and I think I am still too novice to take care of a nem. The black ones look very cool though
This one is an aiptasia. It's black.

OP
OP
Katrina71

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That's sad. I don't mind what someone does for a job, just do it with pride! Btw, Happy Early Birthday!

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 161 61.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 69 26.3%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 91 34.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 45 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 69 26.3%
Back