Brand New 8 gallon bio cube

Kimberely

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, i did the microscope thing last night. It looks like anphydinium (sp?)
20191113_212222.jpg
I'd attack it hard then. I broke down my first tank after fighting both large cell and small cell amphidinium for a year. I bleach cured all my rocks, bought new live rock to seed the tank with and started over. I still found traces in the new tank afterwards but a UV sterilizer knocked them out.

12gallonsofhex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd attack it hard then. I broke down my first tank after fighting both large cell and small cell amphidinium for a year. I bleach cured all my rocks, bought new live rock to seed the tank with and started over. I still found traces in the new tank afterwards but a UV sterilizer knocked them out.
Boo. I am not ready to go nuclear yet. What did you do with all your coral? Wouldn't they transfer it also?

Kimberely

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Boo. I am not ready to go nuclear yet. What did you do with all your coral? Wouldn't they transfer it also?
I had lost most of my corals by that point and several fish/inverts. I freshwater dipped the surviving corals and stuck them in the new tank and hoped for the best. Most survived. But I lost my candy canes and my euphyllia.

12gallonsofhex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had lost most of my corals by that point and several fish/inverts. I freshwater dipped the surviving corals and stuck them in the new tank and hoped for the best. Most survived. But I lost my candy canes and my euphyllia.
I have been able to keep them in check enough to not hirt anything. If that changes I will go full teardown. Thank you fot sharing your experience! I feel like I high jacked Katrina's thread. How's that gorgeous pipe fish @Katrina71 ?

OP
OP
Katrina71

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Why not bacteria bomb it first?
I have been able to keep them in check enough to not hirt anything. If that changes I will go full teardown. Thank you fot sharing your experience! I feel like I high jacked Katrina's thread. How's that gorgeous pipe fish @Katrina71 ?
There is no such thing here!

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, this thread moves along WAY too fast for me to keep up or be seriously involved. I don't do this on my phone and I only check in by computer 3 to 5 times a day and that leaves me pages behind! I'm here because Katrina called out my name and I consider her a good friend here at R2R. In fact, she is the only person I have ever sold one of my baby RFA's to.

I started with 5 adults and now have somewhere around 45 to 50 due to 3 different rounds of kids! But the babies hide so well under mom, dad and in among zoas that it's hard to get a repeatable census!

That said, much of what I read about RFA's is guess work and supposition mostly based on known facts about other anemones and closely related corals. I've talked to 3 different marine biologists (2 who have anemone and RFA interests) and to be honest, there is VERY little hard facts about RFA's. They just have not been very well researched as of this time.

It may be possible that RFA's can actually change sexes, but that's not a sure thing. And there is no way to determine male or female other than DNA testing. Timing of spawns have been all over the map. And they may be quite different in an aquarium vs in the wild.

The one thing for sure is that they do 'reach up' and stretch out before they spawn or give birth. And it seems that both spawn and birth happen in the early evening, but again, not a hard fast rule.

And congratulations to @Kimberely for having tank parameters good enough to get RFA's to spawn. Even I'd love to here how long it is before you see babies... especially if you get to see it as it happens! Just call me out when you know.

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my rock flowers is acting really weird. It's stretched up like this and has a thin stream of milky looking stuff coming out. All the others look fine. I moved these last night and did a water change. Did I make it mad ya think? Parameters are normal. They've never done this and I've had them over a year.
1114192018a-01.jpeg
I got an answer. It's spawning. Yay!
Watch the others they may start soon. They usually spawn at the same time
I wonder if I should do an extra water change tomorrow? To remove the...mess. Lol
I would let it settle. You may end up with baby rfa. They won't look like parents. Colors can be all over the chats
Well you see, when a mommy and daddy RFA love each other very much...

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, this thread moves along WAY too fast for me to keep up or be seriously involved. I don't do this on my phone and I only check in by computer 3 to 5 times a day and that leaves me pages behind! I'm here because Katrina called out my name and I consider her a good friend here at R2R. In fact, she is the only person I have ever sold one of my baby RFA's to.

I started with 5 adults and now have somewhere around 45 to 50 due to 3 different rounds of kids! But the babies hide so well under mom, dad and in among zoas that it's hard to get a repeatable census!

That said, much of what I read about RFA's is guess work and supposition mostly based on known facts about other anemones and closely related corals. I've talked to 3 different marine biologists (2 who have anemone and RFA interests) and to be honest, there is VERY little hard facts about RFA's. They just have not been very well researched as of this time.

It may be possible that RFA's can actually change sexes, but that's not a sure thing. And there is no way to determine male or female other than DNA testing. Timing of spawns have been all over the map. And they may be quite different in an aquarium vs in the wild.

The one thing for sure is that they do 'reach up' and stretch out before they spawn or give birth. And it seems that both spawn and birth happen in the early evening, but again, not a hard fast rule.

And congratulations to @Kimberely for having tank parameters good enough to get RFA's to spawn. Even I'd love to here how long it is before you see babies... especially if you get to see it as it happens! Just call me out when you know.

Excellent information!

We need to talk about me getting a bunch of RFAs from you. I would be honored to buy them for a display in my store.

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Makemakes mental disorders worse. Dementia is always worse during full moons
It's where the word lunatic comes from. Root word is luna, or the name of our moon. It was once thought if you went outside at night under a full moon you would actually go crazy.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@dantimdad
Excellent information!

We need to talk about me getting a bunch of RFAs from you. I would be honored to buy them for a display in my store.
Thanks for the kind words. And I'd love to sell you RFA's, but... the basics are, mine aren't for sale. Most of them are too still too small and I'm building a new, bigger tank so I can house all of them as they grow up.

If you want a good supplier, contact VIP Reefs in Miami. He has a retail store and is a licensed collector and wholesales them as well. That's where I got my first 5. Frank, the owner is a nice guy and was involved in getting the RFA crazy started.

I'd been collecting ordinary RFA's from the shallows in the Keys for years. It was Frank who explained to me that the crazy colorful ones come from deeper water... and I love snorkeling and quit scuba diving shortly after I started. It's too much work. Give me snorkel gear and a small Zodiac so I can get to off shore islands in the Keys and I'm a very happy camper!

If you want to talk, send me a PM and I'll share my email and phone number with you.

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, all caught up now. Thread got busy last night... We downloaded Disney+ because I got a year free with my Verizon plan. I'll probably end up keeping it and maybe ditching Netflix after the free year. Hulu Live, Disney+, Netflix... starts to add up to being more expensive than cable if you're not careful. Anyway, we watched The Hunchback of Notre Dame and the fiancée called it a "Disney classic." I rolled my eyes. The Classics are Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, Cinderella, Bambi, Pinocchio, Fantasia...

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.4%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 32 17.4%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back