Brand New 8 gallon bio cube

12gallonsofhex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Large amphidinium or small? If I remember correctly, small is a doozie. It too up to 8 days of blackout in one test to eradicate them.

All you want to accomplish by the blackout is knock out the majority of them and weaken them. They will be super easy to turkey baste once you turn the lights on. So go immediately to town. I'd consider doing a light gravel suck and dump in some fritz turbo start and also get a cheap $25-$50 uv to prevent a bacterial bloom.

A bacterial bloom is chump change compared to dino which is by far the worst thing I've experienced since starting this hobby.

Once they are weak, the algae will prevail if your nutrients are up.
I think I have both. The larger ones I can see easily in the microscope. There is also small round dots moving around at 1200x that may be small anphydinium but I cant tell on this cheap microscope. My luck, its definitely them. Lol.

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I have both. The larger ones I can see easily in the microscope. There is also small round dots moving around at 1200x that may be small anphydinium but I cant tell on this cheap microscope. My luck, its definitely them. Lol.

You've got this man. If there are still a bit of them, run blackout for a fourth day. I went on for a fourth day and I think it made all the difference.

Also hit them with hydrogen peroxide for like the first 1-2 days post blackout. They hate it and you'll see the strands just float on up into the water column. Stop after a day or two so that it doesn't prevent the algae coming in.

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem is that they are only in the sand. There may be a small amount on the rocks, but its not at all noticeable. I have the anphydinium that are hard to rid, but not very toxic. I have had no losses of cuc, corals, or fish.
Siphon out all the sand and leave it bare bottom for a little while?

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Siphon out all the sand and leave it bare bottom for a little while?
Thats my thoughts. I would add some kind of blocks in the sump to replace the lost sand. The prob with amph is they go inti the San bed. Making leave it is a pain but not toxic.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. I say it all the time, it will photosynthesize and use nutrients in the tank. Offers food and possibly other unknown benefits as well.

EDIT: regarding phytoplankton

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW (may have said before), red legged hermit crabs destroyed Cyanobacteria in my tank quickly. Added 10 into 30 gallon display. Could not believe it as I watched it. Was certain they were probably just picking at food.

Back