Brand New 8 gallon bio cube

Why-Me

Been going against the grain since I was a sapling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d like to raise my hand and say that in 10 months of reefing I have never personally tested my phosphates. Every once in a while I take some water to the LFS just for peace of mind, it’s ok that it’s always a waste of my time and theirs ;) I feed my corals like I feed my fish and don’t worry about it lol

(just imaging how much time @living_tribunal must spend testing!)
Same, never tested phosphates once yet, been reefing since march.

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d like to raise my hand and say that in 10 months of reefing I have never personally tested my phosphates. Every once in a while I take some water to the LFS just for peace of mind, it’s ok that it’s always a waste of my time and theirs ;) I feed my corals like I feed my fish and don’t worry about it lol

(just imaging how much time @living_tribunal must spend testing!)

Quite a lot but it’ll be worth it when there’s no Dino in my tank and my hammer has a few more heads.

All my frags are undergoing a puberty growth spur at the moment.

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed mine reef nutrition a+b, just started oyster feast. Mine hate reef roids so I target feed mysis, they get wet over it.

I dose Fuel every other day. Phyto Feast and Oyster Feast every day, reef roids every 3 days or so. Frozen mysis every week for the whole tank. I’m not sure, but I think my hammers also eat pellets as well if they fall on them when I feed my fish. I don’t feed the recommended dosage tho, about half or less for everything.

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose Fuel every other day. Phyto Feast and Oyster Feast every day, reef roids every 3 days or so. Frozen mysis every week for the whole tank. I’m not sure, but I think my hammers also eat pellets as well if they fall on them when I feed my fish. I don’t feed the recommended dosage tho, about half or less for everything.

I’ve heard that from others! I might pick up some more pellets to feed my frags. I’m looking for larger food to feed. Reef roids just causes a lot of algae and the Dino loves it too.

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve heard that from others! I might pick up some more pellets to feed my frags. I’m looking for larger food to feed. Reef roids just causes a lot of algae and the Dino loves it too.
Oh I agree with the reef roids, I use like 1/5 the recommended dose and broadcast it. However, I can say that it made my tank explode, (it used to be the only thing I fed) and gave everything more color too. I stopped using it for a while and could really tell a difference in color on some of the corals, especially my green Palys. Imo, It’s absolutely worth an extra glass cleaning for a reef roids feeding lol

I would add that if I were only going to feed one thing, it would be Oyster Feast. My tank reacts to that stuff like I just dumped coral crack in the water!

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I agree with the reef roids, I use like 1/5 the recommended dose and broadcast it. However, I can say that it made my tank explode, (it used to be the only thing I fed) and gave everything more color too. I stopped using it for a while and could really tell a difference in color on some of the corals, especially my green Palys. Imo, It’s absolutely worth an extra glass cleaning for a reef roids feeding lol

I would add that if I were only going to feed one thing, it would be Oyster Feast. My tank reacts to that stuff like I just dumped coral crack in the water!

That’s what literally everyone has been telling me. I finally purchased some today and fed it to my frag tank. Apparently it’s a lot dirtier than reef nutrition with more phosphates actually in the food itself. Could be a nice way to increase phosphates in the frag tank.

I only do roids once or twice a week for my smaller brains, acans, favias, echinatas, Duncan’s.

My cloves and zoas love it but it just gets stuck in between their polyps and algae goes nuts.

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s what literally everyone has been telling me. I finally purchased some today and fed it to my frag tank. Apparently it’s a lot dirtier than reef nutrition with more phosphates actually in the food itself. Could be a nice way to increase phosphates in the frag tank.

I only do roids once or twice a week for my smaller brains, acans, favias, echinatas, Duncan’s.

My cloves and zoas love it but it just gets stuck in between their polyps and algae goes nuts.

Cleaner shrimp and hermit crabs will solve that issue lol

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another thing all of my corals love are phytos. I feed phytos every other day and I’ve noticed a noticeable impact on my corals health and growth from it.

It can also lower your nutrients to all of the phosphate haters out there.

OP
OP
Katrina71

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Another thing all of my corals love are phytos. I feed phytos every other day and I’ve noticed a noticeable impact on my corals health and growth from it.

It can also lower your nutrients to all of the phosphate haters out there.
Not a hater here.

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have any, been thinking about it though.

I’ve been releasing my amphipods to handle that work. They surprisingly do some serious damage against algae like that.

the cleaner shrimp will methodically find and consume any and all extra reef roids. To the point that I can’t target feed or he will attack my corals! He’s an absolute cockroach and annoys the heck out of me (he is FOREVER messing with my Goni) but is so useful I tolerate him. Also singlehandedly ended an ich outbreak when I first got fish.

Musovski

Soft Coral Enthusiast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everybody has their own way. It's not wrong or right.
i agree. My nitrates are 60ppm and phos at 1.... So i mean everyone has their own way. Mine is ignoring my reef tank.

Why-Me

Been going against the grain since I was a sapling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't checked pH since May.
constant temp then salinity and ALK once a week.
Everything is happy and growing. Only thing I can't keep is SPS. IMO I'm not sure how much faster or larger corals grow dosing all that stuff but it's gotta be marginal, mine grow fine without. Seems like a lot of work, time, money for that marginal growth. Plus when I started reefing, I was told by a seasoned reefer the sooner you have a fully grown out tank the sooner your looking at a tank you can't do much with, maybe start another tank etc. Enjoy watching the tank slowly fill out and progress.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 139 60.4%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 65 28.3%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 82 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 41 17.8%
  • Other

Votes: 63 27.4%
Back