Brand New 8 gallon bio cube

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fluc won’t kill the nems. It will help against turf algae but won’t affect the cyano part.
No cyano, just a bit of this crap...

20191121_065422.jpg
20191121_065339.jpg

And a FTS

20191121_161530.jpg

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would prefer not to dose phosphate but won't allow my tank to run on 0 phosphate for extended periods. I'm also going through dino right now as I was not able to figure out what was absorbing all of the phosphate in time.

My rock is binding basically all of the phosphate that enter my tank immediately. This is true for substances with calcium carbonate.

This tank has been set up with water for 2 months, holding livestock for about a month.

As much as I'd like to be patient with dino, it can wipe a tank pretty quick. I've battled it before and don't want to lose another frag to it again.

I test phosphate every day so will hopefully be able to detect the day my rock becomes fully bound. Until then, I need to provide at least some measurable level of phosphate for my corals to continue to grow and establish the algae hierarchy in my system. Can't allow dino to grow unfettered.
2 months is basically an infant. Your tank is too new to be dumping this and that in. Just wait and give it time. I'm not trying to be mean or anything, but you're trying too hard. It's too soon to have that many corals in a tank that young with your experience level.

Personally, I'd try and find someone to take your corals, dump a bunch of microbacter7 in the tank and let it mature. Up until about 9 months tanks can grow all kinds of nasty stuff. If you're experienced you can keep hardy corals during that period, if not... well you run into issues dosing this and that to fight that and this.

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the skull!! What’s your WC schedule like?
When I remember... I have an Auto Aqua AWC unit, that I still haven't set up. I want WC containers to match my Synergy ATO, and that would cost a good penny. I'll break down and buy some cheap ones that fit in the stand I guess

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh my, fancy!! I would say perhaps more WC more often, and an additional member or 2 for the CUC? Oh, and your stand is fantastic! It’s making me want to build a new one for my tank lol
Go check out the build thread where you can see me "make" the stand. It was the stand under my 90g reef, but that stand warped and the tank cracked. I cut it apart and put it back together innthe size I wanted.

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Show me a pic of your rock. Let's see if we could find a better solution. You shouldn't have to dose a young tank.

Lights are off. It’s pretty simple what’s going on. Phosphate is binding to the rock, so I need to saturate the rock until it’s at a level I like.

The reason I’m hasty is because of the Dino. Need phosphates to eradicate Dino. I’ll figure it out one way or another, I’m hijacking this thread lol.

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@living_tribunal bacteria should either starve or consume what's bottoming out your phosphate. @Robin Haselden do you agree?
My answer to just about everything anymore is bacteria, phyto and pods.

Cant build a house starting with shingles. You gotta lay that foundation first, then build the frame.

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last thing, I believe the proliferation in Dino outbreaks we’ve seen in recent years is directly correlated, and potentially caused, by using dry rock instead of live rock.

Everyone I speak to about this or references Randy-Holmes thread have this epiphany “oh ya, the first time I used dry rock was when I got Dino”.

It all makes perfect sense.

OP
OP
Katrina71

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Lights are off. It’s pretty simple what’s going on. Phosphate is binding to the rock, so I need to saturate the rock until it’s at a level I like.

The reason I’m hasty is because of the Dino. Need phosphates to eradicate Dino. I’ll figure it out one way or another, I’m hijacking this thread lol.
No, it's not hijacking at all. It's learning. It's a good thing.

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a dark pic if you do want to see the tank.

I added a new sock yesterday that was overflowing by morning.

The uv also cleared up the bacterial infection overnight.

I guess the hope is that maybe algae can grow with very minimal phosphate levels and phosphate levels that go in and out from .03 to 0 every hour.

EA27492E-5D4F-4994-96A3-53EBAE4D801B.jpeg

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 63 34.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 26.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 58 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back