Brand New GFO - Effluent Phosphate Positive

ReefHunter006

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 27, 2020
Messages
754
Reaction score
411
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What am I doing wrong? GFO has been in the reactor for 20 mins. 150g of rowahos in a mini brs reactor on 240 gallons. It is tumbling so gently and flow is reduced that only a few small areas of it tumble.

Took an effulent reading and confirmed it with salifert. Extact sam as tank water between .7-1ppm.
 
Not sure what the issue is. Could be the water is channeling through it, the test is off, the GFO is already depleted, etc.
 
If it is channeling through, I am not sure what I can do to prevent it.

I have confirmed testing with a third test kit.

20 mins with only 50-100gph running through the reactor seems very quick, no?
 
100 gph might be too high to easily detect. Maybe it is too fast to reliably detect the drop by test kit. The residence time must only be a few seconds. You will not get more binding by going slower, but might see it easier.

Can you drop that rate a lot and retest?
 
I washed a new batch and tested within the first 5 mins and it ready .4ppm. Tank is .7ppm. I slowed the flow down to the point it stopped tumbling.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 25 18.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 47 34.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new