Brand new tank scratched

Kendrid

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a regular Flipper and a new Flipper blade scratched my glass. It was lucky that it was a side and I have an in-wall so I can't see it from the front.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess there is no way to fit it around since you can see it from both sides. What I would do is have something in the tank that draws your eyes away from the scratch location. Like something on the sand under the location. Or something on top of the rock higher than the scratch. Maybe a cave opening thats dark at the scratch location, so you dont notice the scratch?
I have a scratch but because, people look thru to the rocks and corals they dont notice.
Because I put it there, I know its there

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll have to drain the tank for this possible fix. I've done it on glasses, old glass car windshields, and old glass fish tanks when I was very young and had an aquarium cleaning service for offices, etc. and it works "sometimes." Use Brasso Metal polish. Apply a small amount on an old toothbrush. Rub small circles. Wipe clean. Apply a small amount on a soft cotton cloth. Wipe clean. Remember to clean with vinegar, rinse, rinse, rinse and dry before refilling the tank.

Glott3133

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have suffered the same fate with scratches, but I stopped focusing on them. What do you guys recommend for cleaning the glass. The magic eraser sounded good, but realized I would have to take an onslaught of attacks from my female clown.

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have suffered the same fate with scratches, but I stopped focusing on them. What do you guys recommend for cleaning the glass. The magic eraser sounded good, but realized I would have to take an onslaught of attacks from my female clown.
I use an acrylic mag float on my glass tank.

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll have to drain the tank for this possible fix. I've done it on glasses, old glass car windshields, and old glass fish tanks when I was very young and had an aquarium cleaning service for offices, etc. and it works "sometimes." Use Brasso Metal polish. Apply a small amount on an old toothbrush. Rub small circles. Wipe clean. Apply a small amount on a soft cotton cloth. Wipe clean. Remember to clean with vinegar, rinse, rinse, rinse and dry before refilling the tank.
You just gave me PTSD from my first year at boarding school...Brasso :mad::mad:

JayLu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably, a lot of aquariums have scratches, but we focus more on what’s inside anyways. My glass has a couple of scratches and dings from hitting it with rocks when moving stuff around. But I don’t really notice them anymore. For cleaning the glass, I use a Tunze care magnet. I think by design, it is more resistant to catching sand, since only the blades are contacting the glass. I used to use credit cards to clean my glass. That worked good too, but did require my whole arm, all the way up to my armpit, to be in the aquarium a lot, which I didn’t like.

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am super desperate.... this tank was a lot of money and my wife is going to be so upset :( I feel like an idiot I don’t know how this even happened using a magnet cleaner fresh out of the box never touched the sand only got halfway down the glass pane ....
I have an acrylic tank, I have to be so careful cleaning it with magic erasers. I cut them into a few pieces, i use several to avoid any sand caught on it. I still managed to scratched up my tank smh.
If I get a glass tank, I will still use magic erasers, wipe and throw away protocols.
I hate those magnet cleaners

wmo168

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i learn and stop using any metal or aluminum blade scraper. Only use old credit card or cleaner made by plastic

waterbox has low ion glass and they do scratch easy. I had it on mine and learn to live with it. No way you can buff it out. Money and time spend will make it worst with distortion. Save up for a new tank some day.... is like a new car with rock chips and ding...

sorry to hear...

artieg1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honest, every downside in this hobby at least makes a good story (even velvet wipeouts, if it does not drive you from the hobby). We've got a thumbnail size collection of tiny chips in one of the long panes of our 6 foot peninsula tank, right at eye level, hit it with rock when we were doing aquascape. Yep, it sucks. But the fish and corals make you forget about it once you really get going!

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honest, every downside in this hobby at least makes a good story (even velvet wipeouts, if it does not drive you from the hobby). We've got a thumbnail size collection of tiny chips in one of the long panes of our 6 foot peninsula tank, right at eye level, hit it with rock when we were doing aquascape. Yep, it sucks. But the fish and corals make you forget about it once you really get going!
Till your stupid fish jump through your 1/4” screen top in the middle of the night ;Rage

Ntl555

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is a very very old thread, but scratches can be removed. I made a very long scratch (that you can feel with a fingernail) in my month old water box 65.4. I was able to remove all, but an inch of it (close to the edge).

It took about 2 pounds of cerium oxide, seven 3in felt buffing pads, variable speed buffer/sanding machine, and roughly 9 hours of buffing. I would never let the cerium oxide get dry, go too fast with the buffing, and let the glass get warmer than 90degrees. Don’t use a drill gun, it just wobbles and is tiring to hold against the glass.

No fishbowl effect what so ever. From probably an 11in to 1in scratch, better than nothing :)

95A97BF5-F4E3-4D8E-9EBF-4B5E55BF344E.jpeg
3FED9DB8-78DB-4357-BBD9-4F5697C6FA45.jpeg
9C2F3D59-E8D8-4967-AB5F-1A727B1AE7FB.jpeg
05BA5C89-2F1A-45A8-9636-A735EBD1EE62.jpeg

Back