Brand new to keeping corals! Need advice

brbeck92

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 27, 2024
Messages
6
Reaction score
3
Location
United States
What state or country do you live in
Ohio
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you put additional in your tank to help feed the corals? I have a duncan and a pulsing xenia (I think that is how you spell it haha).

Any links to products would be helpful!

Also...I have a sand shifting starfish....I never see him...how do I know he is doing ok?
 
firstly; welcome aboard the r2r board! hello from PA!

secondly; free-floating-broadcasted(or targeted) food is best. so foods like: benepets, reef roids, reef chili, thawed frozen food or fish pellets(small sized) target fed to the duncan. your nitrates will inadvertently feed your corals(xenia), so as long as you feed your fish and provide light and keep your nitrates around 5-10, and phosphates around .03-.7 you should be fine
 
firstly; welcome aboard the r2r board! hello from PA!

secondly; free-floating-broadcasted(or targeted) food is best. so foods like: benepets, reef roids, reef chili, thawed frozen food or fish pellets(small sized) target fed to the duncan. your nitrates will inadvertently feed your corals(xenia), so as long as you feed your fish and provide light and keep your nitrates around 5-10, and phosphates around .03-.7 you should be fine
Wonderful! Thanks so much! :)
 
Target feeding is best while the corals are small, and with a newer tank that may struggle to keep NO3 and PO4 down. The small particle size of coral food breaks down extremely fast and can spike nutrient levels. I like reef chili, red see aminos, and pods.
 
Target feeding is best while the corals are small, and with a newer tank that may struggle to keep NO3 and PO4 down. The small particle size of coral food breaks down extremely fast and can spike nutrient levels. I like reef chili, red see aminos, and pods.
Great thanks!!
 
I use reef chili and Reef Energy AB+, as @twentyleagues stated duncans have a great feeling response but I stopped target feeding after I counted 32 heads. Mine is not the branching type and haven’t figured out a way to frag it with what I currently have available.
 
What do you put additional in your tank to help feed the corals? I have a duncan and a pulsing xenia (I think that is how you spell it haha).

Any links to products would be helpful!

Also...I have a sand shifting starfish....I never see him...how do I know he is doing ok?
Often feeding fish will pass onto corals. Corals with mouths, I recommend mysis shrimp and other corals Reef AB+ by red sea, aminos and powdered food such as reef roids (which will raise phosphate if too much is fed)
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 11 44.0%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 7 28.0%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new