Brand new to this addictive hobby!

Samira Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone!! My husband and I have always wanted a saltwater tank but never got to do it......until now. About 2 weeks ago we bought a 30gal starter tank (that will later be a quarantine tank) and did the "cycle in a bottle" (not sure if thats whats its called). We already have 6 fishes in there: 2 clowns, blue devil damsel, domino damsel and 2 silver moony. We just bought a 60gal so we can start cycling it and make it a reef tank. My dream tank is a large predator tank!!! Slowly were working our way towards it! As newbies theres a lot we want to learn. Anyone have any tips??? Thanks for letting me part of this forum!!

Samira and Dustin

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome home, you will love it here!

Although those bottles of beneficial bacteria kick start the nitrogen cycle they will not replace it. You should still wait weeks before adding fish because you’ll have to do many water changes and repeated doses of bacteria in a bottle (Dr Tim’s and BioSpira to name the two best IME) to keep the fish from dying. The other issue is that a new tank has other parameter swings that stress fish.

Sorry, don’t mean to be negative, just wanted to provide some guidance :) Keep us posted with your builds with lots of photos! :D

Dystinction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome aboard @Samira Waters
It's a great hobby, and you've found a great family and resource.

Regarding your initial startup. Do yourself (and fish) a favor and monitor your Ammonia. As @4FordFamily mentioned, even with utilizing bacteria in a bottle, your tank still needs to properly cycle through its' stages in the establishment of permanent bacteria colonies.

Enjoy your journey!

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Remember to take it slow, 6 fish in two weeks is kind of fast. A wise man on here once said "Good things dont happen overnight in this hobby, only bad things. If you think you're going slow already, slow down even more"
giphy (10).gif
#WelcometoR2R

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

First advice, friendly, is slow way, way down. That's a ton of livestock for 2-3weeks in.

Continue using the bacteria booster regularly and like it was said above, ammonia and Nitrites are the killers. Test for them often (3 times a week minimum) until your tank bacteria has established itself.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!!!!

I agree you may need to slow down a bit. This hobby can get so exciting and you want what you see others may have. Sometimes just an idea in your head and you want it now. We get it! We all do!

But key is to take it slow. You do not want to experience disappointment right off the bat. Just remember, your system needs to build up to tolerate more livestock. Just like you would not go run a marathon without training. You cannot have a reef without building slowly up to it.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back