Brand recognition on the reef: Do you focus on the name-brand of the aquarium when selecting your tank?

Do you focus on the name-brand of the aquarium when selecting your tank?

• A name-brand tank is important to me.

Votes: 51 16.8%
  • It helps, but it is only one of the factors that I consider.

Votes: 152 50.2%
  • It is neither a positive nor a negative factor in my decision.

Votes: 87 28.7%
  • I avoid name-brand tanks.

Votes: 6 2.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.3%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Brand recognition on the reef: Do you focus on the name-brand of the aquarium when selecting your tank?

The are many options and approaches to take when selecting an aquarium. To some people a tank is just a glass box to put all the important stuff into, but to others the aquarium is the key foundational piece to house the reef. Some reef keepers make their aquarium selections based on the manufacturer’s reputation and reputation. Others take a thorough look at the construction and features of the tank. Additionally, while some hobbyists will choose to go with a custom-made tank, others will go with a commodity tank because of availability or cost-savings. Whatever your reason, please tell us how you go about selecting an aquarium. Whether it was for the decision on your current tank or possibly for a future tank, do you focus on the name-brand of the aquarium when selecting your tank?

Wen_CustomTank.jpeg

Photo by @Wen

This QOTD is sponsored by: www.tckcorals.com

TCK_logo.png

7of9

Resistance is Futile.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only in as much as I'm looking for quality. I don't think the fish care what name is on the tank, but I will avoid brands I know have had issues and research brands I'm not familiar with.

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I would typically start with brands I know and look for alternatives. Then of course skim through issues and eliminate brands with current quality problems and bad customer service. Then it comes down to finding the availability, size, features and appearance that I want. To be blunt I won't buy a tank that's made in China. Too many quality issues aside from the abuse of being shipped thousands of miles by sea and truck and man handled along the way. You really have to read the fine print these days. Too many of these American tank companies are giving the illusion that they are made in the US when they are really imported. While some may be often the smaller models are imported. What's telling is that anything much larger than 200g is generally not available from the big tank companies likely due to the hassle of getting it shipped in one piece. Oh, did I mention if it uses metric plumbing or other non-standard/proprietary parts hard pass.

Reefer Matt

YouTube Channel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spend more of my money on the livestock and some of the equipment. IMO, a $4k tank will never appreciate in value, and may actually perform less than a $200 used one. That said, I prefer glass, fully framed tanks.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I look more at dimensions-construction- aesthetics followed by price. I also factor what my intended stocking of tank is and placement in the home

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't care that much. I do avoid some brands on the basis of cost or quality (looking at you, Red Sea and Mainland), but aside from that, I don't pay much attention to brands.

cwerner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I look for brands to avoid more than I do recommendations. Red Sea comes to mind, and before them there were issues with other brands as well. I tend to take online reviews with a grain of salt because everyone is going to complain about their problems, very few post their successes.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The are many options and approaches to take when selecting an aquarium. To some people a tank is just a glass box to put all the important stuff into, but to others the aquarium is the key foundational piece to house the reef. Some reef keepers make their aquarium selections based on the manufacturer’s reputation and reputation. Others take a thorough look at the construction and features of the tank. Additionally, while some hobbyists will choose to go with a custom-made tank, others will go with a commodity tank because of availability or cost-savings. Whatever your reason, please tell us how you go about selecting an aquarium. Whether it was for the decision on your current tank or possibly for a future tank, do you focus on the name-brand of the aquarium when selecting your tank?

Wen_CustomTank.jpeg

Photo by @Wen

This QOTD is sponsored by: www.tckcorals.com

TCK_logo.png
I focus on the Pros and Cons, I mean currently I’m avoiding Red Sea as there’s too many cons to outweigh the pros.
However Cade seems to be good as I have yet to see cons to it and Infact it’s a larger tank for the same price.

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only buy from the very trustworthy brand known as red sea.
The tanks have a feature where they start doing a automatic water empty.
It gives you a very good reason on why you should get a bigger tank.

Automatic water empty. I'm dying.

penguinexdeus

Poor Decision Maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brand matters because you can find review / support / parts easier. Red Sea, Waterbox , Innovative Marine are my top choices.
100% This - especially for smaller or AIO tanks... nothing worse than having almost no selection for finding things that fit into the AIO compartments or 3D printed parts because of an off-brand name or unpopular tank... larger tanks or tanks with sumps are less of an issue and you basically just want reliability

design.maddie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

"A name-brand tank is important to me."​

Every brand has a name. Now, I currently have a Red Sea tank, my next is planned to be a Waterbox.

Zoa.Mania

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now my tank is a custom build because I wanted it to absolutely match my needs.
I did want a well known local builder to build it which for me is the same as choosing a “brand” in terms of trust.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 94 48.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 61 31.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.6%
Back