Brand Spanking New to Hobby - Help

Jfarooqpak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, just starting out I. The hobby, and after a lot of research and looking at my resources and space have decided to go with a all in one type of Nano set up. Now looking for recommendations on which tank/brand to go with. So far BioCube 32 seems to be the best choice. What do you suggest?
Your insight and help in this decision is greatly appreciated. TIA.

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!
Biocubes are super popular, but the lighting on the 32 is underpowered for corals as far as I know. Perfect for fish only. If you can find one, the older power compact fluorescent lights on the 29 were passable.

I think you'll appreciate something with a more open or screen top so you can add your own lighting solution. An open top also prevents overheating if you're in a warm-ish climate.

OP
OP
J

Jfarooqpak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!
Biocubes are super popular, but the lighting on the 32 is underpowered for corals as far as I know. Perfect for fish only. If you can find one, the older power compact fluorescent lights on the 29 were passable.

I think you'll appreciate something with a more open or screen top so you can add your own lighting solution. An open top also prevents overheating if you're in a warm-ish climate.
The new BioCube has LED only and I prefer a hood versus open top. Does it help to add a couple of LED strips on the BioCube as I prefer corals to fish.

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The new BioCube has LED only and I prefer a hood versus open top. Does it help to add a couple of LED strips on the BioCube as I prefer corals to fish.

If you prefer corals to fish, then a hood is not your best choice. My honest opinion is a hood is a really bad choice. You'd be better off looking at the innovative marine lineup or the smaller red sea setups.

OP
OP
J

Jfarooqpak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!

Thank you for the suggestion but I would like a
If you prefer corals to fish, then a hood is not your best choice. My honest opinion is a hood is a really bad choice. You'd be better off looking at the innovative marine lineup or the smaller red sea setups.
thank you but what is the reasoning behind the open aquarium being better. TIA

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A closed up box will tend to heat up more because it cannot evaporate water to cool itself.

The hood limits the possibilities of lighting, which severely limits the corals you can have.

Tanks need to breathe. CO2 is the main cause of low ph, which slows coral growth.

OP
OP
J

Jfarooqpak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A closed up box will tend to heat up more because it cannot evaporate water to cool itself.

The hood limits the possibilities of lighting, which severely limits the corals you can have.

Tanks need to breathe. CO2 is the main cause of low ph, which slows coral growth.
Thank you.

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 29 gallon biocube, it supported my corals and there was some growth. I liked it. I recently upgraded to a larger 60 gallon cube with sump, because I wanted to be able to do more. There really isn't a bad choice. Just depends what you're wanting to do.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Innovative marine has many types and bio cube is also a great choice. Water box came out with some cool nanos also

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 40.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 21.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back