"Breaking in" skimmer

Rjmul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently set up my first tank with a sump. I've had skimmers in the past, but all HOB.

for this setup (75 gallon) I bought a bubble magus curve 5. After doing some research I came to believe the best height was 8 inches. Even at the height the skimmer was overflowing.

I took an OLD bag of biological media I had and kind of shook the detritus off in the skimmer section. Immediately the skimmer stopped overflowing.

"broken in" in under an hour.

just some food for thought...

BoxKing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with the above... without the proper amount nutrients to fuel the skimmer, you will just end up with boiling bubbles. I have this issue with my MAXPECT JUMP... only have 2 Clowns, and I don't over feed. You need to establish a higher bio-load, which can be accomplished in many different ways.

As far as your overflowing... thats up to you, and should not be happening if you setup correctly. This doesnt mean you will end up skimming once setup better. I believe at this point, you will have more success setting up as a wet skim until the tank is more mature.

Alex Cataldo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with the above... without the proper amount nutrients to fuel the skimmer, you will just end up with boiling bubbles. I have this issue with my MAXPECT JUMP... only have 2 Clowns, and I don't over feed. You need to establish a higher bio-load, which can be accomplished in many different ways.

As far as your overflowing... thats up to you, and should not be happening if you setup correctly. This doesnt mean you will end up skimming once setup better. I believe at this point, you will have more success setting up as a wet skim until the tank is more mature.
I have a 65 gallon that’s heavily stocked and the skimmer pulls out nothing on the lowest power of the pump. Considering ditching the skimmer altogether since the refugium is all the tank needs

OP
OP
Rjmul

Rjmul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 65 gallon that’s heavily stocked and the skimmer pulls out nothing on the lowest power of the pump. Considering ditching the skimmer altogether since the refugium is all the tank needs
What skimmer

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 41 36.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 33 29.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back