Breeding flame angel pair

roilciuc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of flame angels that have been in my reef for a year as a pair. They've never bothered any of my corals which range from primarily sps to zoas, open brain, palys, lps, and mushrooms. Well over the last few months I've noticed them spawning in my tank. Around 10pm they would swim up together and release a cloud which the other fish would rush in to eat. I wanted to try breeding them but now I'm thinking of taking down the tank and want to sell them. Does anyone know what a breeding pair of coral friendly flame angels are worth? I'm planning on keeping them until I film them breed and collect some eggs to photograph.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Putting a price on them will be difficult. Just because they are spawning doesn't mean that someone will be able to raise the larvae. Just because they have been Coral safe doesn't mean they always will be. They are worth whatever you can get. But I would estimate between$150-200.

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Breeding fish is a bit strange. Your angels might be reacting to something specific in or around your tank. If someone else buys them and puts them in a new environment, they might stop spawning.

Even with spawning, you have to be able to collect the fertilized eggs, hatch them and successfully feed and raise the fry. It is a major out lay in time and effort at long odds. Even if successful, the amount you would get for the tank raised fish probably would not allow you to pay for your expenses.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back