Breeding ghost shrimp

Dan Friday

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone breeding ghost shrimp with success?
Hungry preditor tank that’s eating me out of house! Advice appreciated

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have fourth and fifth generation marine mollies in outside mariculture with macro algae and pods. I net ghost shrimp in both fresh, brackish and full strength. Ghost shrimp cultivation would be the same as peppermint shrimp cultivation. Good luck on that. More work than I cared to do.

OP
OP
Dan Friday

Dan Friday

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feeding a Radiata Antennata and Fu Manchu lionfish (ghost shrimp)
Marine Betta (ghost shrimp/frozen)
Going thru about 5-6 dz ghost shrimp a week . Not sure if that’s the right amount or not though?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feeding a Radiata Antennata and Fu Manchu lionfish (ghost shrimp)
Marine Betta (ghost shrimp/frozen)
Going thru about 5-6 dz ghost shrimp a week . Not sure if that’s the right amount or not though?

That is alot but full size specimens of your guys could pack away that many, especially if the ghosties are small. An appropriate sized molly will equal a few to several ghosties. By contrast you would probably be feeding about 15 mollies, I have an lfs that sells the right size for my guys for 98 cents and have a 2 for 1 sale every tuesday; so I stopped breeding.

Do you feed 2-3 a week; all of your guys will benefit from a gorge, fast routine. Trying to target them rather than dumping them all in will save you. And I know I had a bunch of mouths eating live only at one time and was spending $100/month just on live food.

My fu is now going towards 7 years old, I think she's getting cataracts, hard for her to catch ghosties anymore and has refused to eat anything dead. I feed her mollies and guppies.

My Antennata and Zebra will take the frozen krill from an asian market(real shrimp colored, not orange and fully formed, they call them tiny shrimp), and frozen silverfish, they will take the full intact pieces that look live. The frozen silverfish come from a asian market as well. Make sure to feed the dead ghosties it will get them taking dead alternatives.

006.jpg

Jmas4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I highly recommend weaning them into eating whole frozen shrimp and krill from the market. But if you need live food, Molly's and guppies are easy to breed. If you need shrimp try to breed cherry shrimp. They breed readily in a planted tank and unlike ghost shrimp dont eat their own young.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back