Breeding Gold Head Sleeper Gobies

Toshira99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got a pair of gold head gobies, not intending to breed them so soon. However, this morning I woke up and one of them was dead and there were eggs laid in a hermit crab shell. I’ve been trying to find information on them but I’m honestly not sure that anyone has had gold head sleeper gobies breed before because there’s nothing out there on it. They made a den with 3 entrances under a rock and the hermit crab shell is right at one of the entrances. Did the female maybe lay eggs and die right afterwards? They were both eating and doing great for me. I don’t want their efforts to be in vain
306444E1-41D6-45B3-9A5C-7946D789E1BA.jpeg

60DCFECD-FCF9-4E2F-89B2-0148EA17D7BD.jpeg

MysticSea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is quite interesting! If you haven't done so look up what the eggs might look like for this species of gobies and if the females die after laying the eggs. That is not uncommon in certain reef fish I have heard so if that's the case its normally. Let us know what you find out! ;)

OP
OP
T

Toshira99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is quite interesting! If you haven't done so look up what the eggs might look like for this species of gobies and if the females die after laying the eggs. That is not uncommon in certain reef fish I have heard so if that's the case its normally. Let us know what you find out! ;)
The most I can find about them is here: https://www.freshmarine.com/golden-head-sleeper.html
And all it says is they’ve been rumored to have been bred in captivity but there’s no information about gold-head gobies in particular so I guess I’ll just have to try to do my best and hope their babies hatch. He’s just all alone, a single father now, and an owner who has no idea how to help raise those babies I’m thinking I’m going to buy a little breeder and make sure to have lots of copepods and stuff but even at that I’m not sure it’ll work. I’ll do my best though!

MysticSea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good wish the best of luck! If you successfully hatch and keep your goby fry send pictures to update us.

Sailfin11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would take a look at this article: http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-09/hcs3/

"Spawning of paired individuals is not uncommon in the home aquarium. The eggs, usually between 1000 and 2000 eggs, will be attached to the roof of the burrow. The female will stay in the burrow with the eggs until they hatch, reportedly from one to four days for V. strigata (Michael, Coral Realm) and three weeks for V. sexguttata (Baensch, 1994), while the male remains outside the cave, presumably guarding the female and the eggs from danger. When the eggs hatch the male will seal the burrow entrance with the female inside until nightfall, at which time the male opens the burrow door and along with the female, herd the fry into the open water column (Baensch, 1994)."

OP
OP
T

Toshira99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would take a look at this article: http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-09/hcs3/

"Spawning of paired individuals is not uncommon in the home aquarium. The eggs, usually between 1000 and 2000 eggs, will be attached to the roof of the burrow. The female will stay in the burrow with the eggs until they hatch, reportedly from one to four days for V. strigata (Michael, Coral Realm) and three weeks for V. sexguttata (Baensch, 1994), while the male remains outside the cave, presumably guarding the female and the eggs from danger. When the eggs hatch the male will seal the burrow entrance with the female inside until nightfall, at which time the male opens the burrow door and along with the female, herd the fry into the open water column (Baensch, 1994)."
Thank you! This is very helpful.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 28.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 40 81.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.1%
Back