Breeding saltwater feeder shrimp

Bigpapi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my friend ordered some feeder shrimp online which stated they are SALTWATER SPECIES and not freshwater acclimated ghost shrimp. Their scientific name is Palaemonetes vulgaris. So anyways he gave me about 200 of them and I put them in a forty gal with a huge bunch of macro algae haha. They've been there for about a month now but I don't see any berried shrimps. I've looked online for anyone who bred them at home but I've haven't found any. Has anyone ever bred them with success? If so can you give me tips and tricks on how to? Haha thanks
c31872eb6564b919266920e9ed5088de.jpg

OP
OP
Bigpapi

Bigpapi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

cu455

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They have bred for me. I didn't notice fry until my HOB filter broke. My guess is they were getting sucked up the filter and once the filter broke they took over my tank. I couldn't give then away faster then they were producing offspring. I had at least 2 different kinds of ghost like shrimp reproducing. The one in your picture is the ones that bury themselves in the sand.

OP
OP
Bigpapi

Bigpapi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright hey thanks for the advice reefwiser

@cu455 Oh that's cool have any of them grew to adulthood?

cu455

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They did fine. From my observations an increase in temperature triggers their breeding behavior. Let the temperture drop for a few weeks and then put a heater in a raise the temperture. The shrimp can survive in very cold water.

OP
OP
Bigpapi

Bigpapi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@cu455 Cool thanks a lot. The temperature is around 70 right now. Through the week I'll try to raise it up to 75-78. Thanks again for the advice

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've bred them. I found them very hard to breed. One things that can be an issue is they love to eat their brother and sisters. Silence of the Lambs is very much alive.

Mine were the saltwater variety as well. I had a business for awhile selling shrimp.

Can you take a couple more pictures so I can get a better idea of the genus?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bigpapi

Bigpapi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've bred them. I found them very hard to breed. One things that can be an issue is they love to eat their brother and sisters. Silence of the Lambs is very much alive.

Mine were the saltwater variety as well. I had a business for awhile selling shrimp.

Can you take a couple more pictures so I can get a better idea of the genus?

Duez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my friend ordered some feeder shrimp online which stated they are SALTWATER SPECIES and not freshwater acclimated ghost shrimp. Their scientific name is Palaemonetes vulgaris. So anyways he gave me about 200 of them and I put them in a forty gal with a huge bunch of macro algae haha. They've been there for about a month now but I don't see any berried shrimps. I've looked online for anyone who bred them at home but I've haven't found any. Has anyone ever bred them with success? If so can you give me tips and tricks on how to? Haha thanks
c31872eb6564b919266920e9ed5088de.jpg

I would like to know where you ordered them from would like some

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These were the babies and right away they would eat that powdered cyclop eeze stuff in a in. That's really the only product out at that time of that kind. That's what the little dots are in there.

babyshrimp.jpg

OP
OP
Bigpapi

Bigpapi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to know where you ordered them from would like some

Haha alright I'll ask him tomorrow for sure. Look around tho there's a bunch of websites selling them. I believe mine is from some company in Florida

OP
OP
Bigpapi

Bigpapi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These were the babies and right away they would eat that powdered cyclop eeze stuff in a in. That's really the only product out at that time of that kind. That's what the little dots are in there.

babyshrimp.jpg

Do you separate the babies from the main tank or should I just leave them in there?

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is some sort of plant holder for ponds. I found it in the pond/fountain section at Home Depot. Can you see that I jammed rigid airline tubing through both the left and right top? That's so I could suspend it in a plastic tote.

liner2_zpsooppe3st.jpg

This picture shows the rigid tubing.

liner_zps9lqwdb94.jpg

Pretend that the cardboard box is a plastic tote. I couldn't find it when I was taking pictures. I would place all the berried shrimp in the black plantar. The babies would fall through the mesh to the main tote. When the shrimp dropped the berries, I would return them to the holding tank. I would remove the babies with a net and put them in their own container. Can you see how the rigid airline suspends it? Kindda like those baskets in a chest deep freezer.

liner3_zpskpvibarm.jpg

Last edited:

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 128 59.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 63 29.3%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 77 35.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 37 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 63 29.3%
Back