OP
OP
Bigpapi

Bigpapi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is some sort of plant holder for ponds. I found it in the pond/fountain section at Home Depot. Can you see that I jammed rigid airline tubing through both the left and right top? That's so I could suspend it in a plastic tote.

liner2_zpsooppe3st.jpg

This picture shows the rigid tubing.

liner_zps9lqwdb94.jpg

Pretend that the cardboard box is a plastic tote. I couldn't find it when I was taking pictures. I would place all the berried shrimp in the black plantar. The babies would fall through the mesh to the main tote. When the shrimp dropped the berries, I would return them to the holding tank. I would remove the babies with a net and put them in their own container. Can you see how the rigid airline suspends it? Kindda like those baskets in a chest deep freezer.

liner3_zpskpvibarm.jpg

Wow that's cool alright I'll try this out on the weekend. Hey thanks so much for the advice. I really appreciate it.

Angler and Eels

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They have bred for me. I didn't notice fry until my HOB filter broke. My guess is they were getting sucked up the filter and once the filter broke they took over my tank. I couldn't give then away faster then they were producing offspring. I had at least 2 different kinds of ghost like shrimp reproducing. The one in your picture is the ones that bury themselves in the sand.

It is great to finally become a member of this site. While surfing the Web I came across this thread. I currently have an angler fish and dragon moray. Both only eat live food.

My questions.

1) Will I be able to have these reproduce in the tank?

2) Can I have them reproduce in my sump?

3) Where did you buy the shrimp?

4) How many mature shrimp will I need to produce enough food?

5) Right now the fish are fed freshwater ghost shrimp. Can these be converted to saltwater?

6) Will my fish ration their food if I add 30 fish at once?

7) A little off topic but any other shrimp or fish that are easy to breed so they can be fed to my fish.

I know I asked a lot of questions and will like to thank you in advance for taking the time out of your day to answer them.

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure if I should be answering these too, as I think they are intended for the person you quoted, but what can I say.... I like to talk and I'm not shy. :) These are my experiences in the red.

It is great to finally become a member of this site. While surfing the Web I came across this thread. I currently have an angler fish and dragon moray. Both only eat live food.

My questions.

1) Will I be able to have these reproduce in the tank? Yes, but it won't be the numbers you would get from culturing them.

2) Can I have them reproduce in my sump? Yes, they will be in better numbers here than in your display.

3) Where did you buy the shrimp? Caught them in the Gulf of Mexico.

4) How many mature shrimp will I need to produce enough food? To sustain them? More than I would think one could culture in tank.

5) Right now the fish are fed freshwater ghost shrimp. Can these be converted to saltwater? At times they acclimate beautifully, even if you just throw them on in. Other times they all die after a 24 hour drip. I think this is more to do with the supples and shipping than anything. I converted the ones I caught very easily. Before that, when I bought them at the LFS, they were much harder to swap over. I think it's all the additional handling.

6) Will my fish ration their food if I add 30 fish at once? No.

7) A little off topic but any other shrimp or fish that are easy to breed so they can be fed to my fish. I also used guppies and mollies.

I know I asked a lot of questions and will like to thank you in advance for taking the time out of your day to answer them.

Angler and Eels

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone's opinion is appreciated. I quoted the other person because he posted a video of his breeding setup.

FeliciaLynn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Renee, I saw you asked about a source for these. I was ordering the saltwater ghost shrimp for my Lionfish from Floridapets.com. I would keep some of them in a breeder box in my sump and feed them over a month or so and then order more. I noticed they did like to eat each other :(

Angler and Eels

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They have bred for me. I didn't notice fry until my HOB filter broke. My guess is they were getting sucked up the filter and once the filter broke they took over my tank. I couldn't give then away faster then they were producing offspring. I had at least 2 different kinds of ghost like shrimp reproducing. The one in your picture is the ones that bury themselves in the sand.

My questions.

5) Right now the fish are fed freshwater ghost shrimp. Can these be converted to saltwater?

7) A little off topic but any other shrimp or fish that are easy to breed so they can be fed to my fish.

My questions.

Bump

Fredericksburg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some good information. I am putting together a 150 gallon predator tank and will like to breed food.

So my friend ordered some feeder shrimp online which stated they are SALTWATER SPECIES and not freshwater acclimated ghost shrimp. Their scientific name is Palaemonetes vulgaris. So anyways he gave me about 200 of them and I put them in a forty gal with a huge bunch of macro algae haha. They've been there for about a month now but I don't see any berried shrimps. I've looked online for anyone who bred them at home but I've haven't found any. Has anyone ever bred them with success? If so can you give me tips and tricks on how to? Haha thanks
c31872eb6564b919266920e9ed5088de.jpg

Did you have any success?

Will a 20 gallon tank with chaeto and a sponge filter work?

Renee, I saw you asked about a source for these. I was ordering the saltwater ghost shrimp for my Lionfish from Floridapets.com. I would keep some of them in a breeder box in my sump and feed them over a month or so and then order more. I noticed they did like to eat each other

Did you give then hiding spots in the basket? If no do you thing some fake plants or macro would have helped?

Back