Breeding Triggers

  • Thread starter Thread starter Xenoblade
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Xenoblade

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 20, 2025
Messages
16
Reaction score
29
Location
USA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy howdy. I understand there isn’t Aquacultured triggers available yet, and that they have weird breeding habits in the wild that are hard to replicate in captivity. I was just wondering if anybody had any success breeding triggers so I can try to recreate it. I’d rather not buy any fish that aren’t Aquacultured cause that’s lame.

In freshwater many times an “optimal” breeding setup for fish is a 10 gallon with just the two fish and boom you get a million babies. Is there a breeding method that’s worked for triggers? Or saltwater fish in general? I’m not asking if I can put 2 triggers in a 10 gallon just to clarify, but just asking if there’s some optimal way to really encourage breeding.
 
Howdy howdy. I understand there isn’t Aquacultured triggers available yet, and that they have weird breeding habits in the wild that are hard to replicate in captivity. I was just wondering if anybody had any success breeding triggers so I can try to recreate it. I’d rather not buy any fish that aren’t Aquacultured cause that’s lame.

In freshwater many times an “optimal” breeding setup for fish is a 10 gallon with just the two fish and boom you get a million babies. Is there a breeding method that’s worked for triggers? Or saltwater fish in general? I’m not asking if I can put 2 triggers in a 10 gallon just to clarify, but just asking if there’s some optimal way to really encourage breeding.
Check out this article - there is a section on breeding behavior - it seems like they would need a large tank - and it is best to buy a pair - if you can get one. Good luck - and let us know how it works (if you try it)

https://ornamentalfish.org/wp-content/uploads/Triggerfish-Sept-2022.pdf
 
I don't exactly know what he did, but I have a friend that has a pair of niger triggers, they spawn constantly, and one day two sizeable babies popped up. It's definitely possible in home aquaria. I'm wondering if the process anything similar to gobies since they also lay big clusters of eggs... but probably easier to raise fry since they're significantly bigger
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.9%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 5.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 21 20.4%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 33 32.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 8.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 8.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 13 12.6%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 6.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new