Brew's 187g slice of the ocean

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My very first attempt at making frags. Not the first time I've created frags... I do that all the time when I clean my tank. :rolleyes:
First time I've done it on purpose and put them on plugs.
DSC_0006.jpg

DSC_0008.jpg
Looks like u did a great job with the frags sir, well done!

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And the light fixture project came to an embarrassing halt.

I measured everything to make sure it would all fit except for the frame I mount the lights to. Why? Because I ordered 48" length rails to use. Of course, as I'm sliding the T5's into place it dawns on me. I didn't use the 48" rails. They are in the attic. ;Eggonface I decided to use 36" rails because I felt it gave a cleaner look. So, if I want to hang the T5's I either have to do some more modifying or I need to remake my lighting frame.

Oops. :oops:

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And the light fixture project came to an embarrassing halt.

I measured everything to make sure it would all fit except for the frame I mount the lights to. Why? Because I ordered 48" length rails to use. Of course, as I'm sliding the T5's into place it dawns on me. I didn't use the 48" rails. They are in the attic. ;Eggonface I decided to use 36" rails because I felt it gave a cleaner look. So, if I want to hang the T5's I either have to do some more modifying or I need to remake my lighting frame.

Oops. :oops:

Ugh

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This sounds like my entire tank build...
Frustrating, but this one was able to be overcome. I modified the fixture to allow the brackets to be attached at the top where the hanging kit attached. A slight modification to the brackets allows them to be hung on my existing frame as-is.
Going to take a break for a bit but I may still be able to pull this one off by the end of the day.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Brew12 Honesty in Reefing. It's actually refreshing to see.
I'm glad it is appreciated. I'm proud of and happy with my tank but it isn't all unicorns and rainbows. Some days admitting my flaws and issues is easier than others but I do feel its important.

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My very first attempt at making frags. Not the first time I've created frags... I do that all the time when I clean my tank. :rolleyes:
First time I've done it on purpose and put them on plugs.
DSC_0006.jpg

DSC_0008.jpg
Thise frags look more generous than many I see for sale from professional coral retailers. Nice job.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was pretty beat at the end of the night last night so didn't take pictures for an update but I do have the T5's hanging over the tank. Install looks pretty clean. It won't add much PAR to my tank but it should help with some shading issues. Curious to see if my coralline starts growing like mad again.

Oh.. one other update. I posted a few days ago that one of my yellow tailed damsels had a horrible popeye. It resolved on its own and all 4 look fine again. That was a pleasant surprise.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick morning update. Kalkwasser dosing head failed overnight so replaced it this morning.

Figured since I was in here anyway I would post a pic with the lighting change
406c192a0457ae2e2a6ecbcf50e00a59.jpg

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! Good morning indeed!
Hardest part of going to work is that I want more time to sit in front of the tank to enjoy my coffee!

Looking great!! Really starting to fill in :)
Thanks! I couldn't be happier with where it is at growth wise. I'm fascinated how corals can sit and do nothing for months and then it's like a switch is flipped and they start growing. It seems like every week a different frag hits that point. Makes me wonder how people who cram their system full of little frags expect to have room for them to grow.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick morning update. Kalkwasser dosing head failed overnight so replaced it this morning.

Figured since I was in here anyway I would post a pic with the lighting change
406c192a0457ae2e2a6ecbcf50e00a59.jpg
The tanks looking great, very nice indeed!

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about 2 not so great photos.

This darn algae that I'm fighting with Vibrant is dying, but I can't seem to win yet. Most of the particulate in the water is from the dying algae. This picture give you an idea of how much is dying which makes it shocking I can't clear it.
DSC_0025.jpg

And trouble picture number 2. If you wonder why the coral in my FTS's tend to look washed out, this is why. Any photo with my Hippo in it looks like this without editing. I can't get him looking right while keeping the coral in their normal color.
Unedited photo.
DSC_0020-2.jpg

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 130 74.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 16 9.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back