OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, thanks for reminding me...the Giants are in Chicago! Got to get caught up. I am used to them playing at 10:10 Ohio time.
You do realize I can thread ban you if the Giants win, right? ;Wideyed :p

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope, didn't do any treating. The main reason I used the QT was to be able to more slowly raise salinity from the shipping water (1.016) to my DT water (1.026). They spent about 30 hours in the QT system if I recall correctly.
Its interesting you have decided this. I was thinking of going the other way and getting a QT tank for my new large system. But your making me re think this again as I don't really want to. Any fish I have lost have normally gone within a week or so of adding them, so possibly bullying or whatever, who knows.

In the UK Im told the main suppliers do anything necessary for fish health when they arrive at the wholesalers (Tropical Marine Centre), but I do see some threads on disease etc over here, but not that many big issues really. Just occasional and of course you don't know if there are other things at play.

Ive always run a powerful or slow flow UV-C on my system to hopefully catch anything that passes through it as well.

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its interesting you have decided this. I was thinking of going the other way and getting a QT tank for my new large system. But your making me re think this again as I don't really want to. Any fish I have lost have normally gone within a week or so of adding them, so possibly bullying or whatever, who knows.

In the UK Im told the main suppliers do anything necessary for fish health when they arrive at the wholesalers (Tropical Marine Centre), but I do see some threads on disease etc over here, but not that many big issues really. Just occasional and of course you don't know if there are other things at play.

Ive always run a powerful or slow flow UV-C on my system to hopefully catch anything that passes through it as well.

Interesting, I have never qt'd a fish and never had a disease.
My lfs (Southwest Marines) does import as well as use tmc and they always qt imports for at least 3 weeks, they are holding a fish for me that should be ready this weekend.
I trust their water implicitly so new additions for me are bagged at the shop, floated and I use a measuring cup to add water to acclimate them then they swim out of the bag into the tank, less stress.
That will change this time a bit as I am making an acclimation box for this addition.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lfs (Southwest Marines) does import as well as use tmc and they always qt imports for at least 3 weeks, they are holding a fish for me that should be ready this weekend.
I trust their water implicitly so new additions for me are bagged at the shop, floated and I use a measuring cup to add water to acclimate them then they swim out of the bag into the tank, less stress.
That will change this time a bit as I am making an acclimation box for this addition.
That’s basically what I’ve always done but I have a plastic jug they go into and I drop half a cup of water in every 5-10 minutes or so until I get fed up!! Lol

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to get stoned or burned at the stake...I think the stress of QT causes more issues than it solves.
fire.gif

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to get stoned or burned at the stake...I think the stress of QT causes more issues than it solves.

Agree,
There is no way, I'm tossing an "in great shape" Achilles into a QT.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a difference a little calcium makes. I got the calcium issue corrected last weekend and wow, what a change!
It doesn't look a lot difference but I've been increasing my alk/calc dose rate like crazy. I've adjusted it up by 24ml per day and it looks like I'll be bumping it up again later. This is on top of the 6ml that my KH Director is allowed to change it per day. Something in the tank is growing!

I've got some work to do around the house but I do hope to get some pictures later.

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You do not use a QT process BUT your LFS does isolate their imported fish from their main tanks for 3 weeks? Am I understanding this correctly? :)

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You do not use a QT process BUT your LFS does isolate their imported fish from their main tanks for 3 weeks? Am I understanding this correctly? :)

Yes, get a week of something and then 2 weeks without for observation, my new little guy they are holding is staying another week, I need to catch a mandarin! ;)

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My alkalinity consumption change made me think that it had to be too good to be true. I verified it with my Hanna checker and my salifert and they all read around the same. So, time to calibrate the dosing pumps. It was a little off but it was actually adding a little more than intended, not less.
So yes... once I fixed my Calcium issue my Alkalinity consumption has increased by over 25ml per day. And its not showing any signs of slowing down.

Here is my Alk for the last week with my KH Director trying to maintain 9.6dKH. Again, this is also despite raising my dosing rate almost every day this week.
1566757781058.png

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My alkalinity consumption change made me think that it had to be too good to be true. I verified it with my Hanna checker and my salifert and they all read around the same. So, time to calibrate the dosing pumps. It was a little off but it was actually adding a little more than intended, not less.
So yes... once I fixed my Calcium issue my Alkalinity consumption has increased by over 25ml per day. And its not showing any signs of slowing down.

Here is my Alk for the last week with my KH Director trying to maintain 9.6dKH. Again, this is also despite raising my dosing rate almost every day this week.
1566757781058.png
Sounds great! How low was the calcium and how did you adjust it? Or was there another issue?

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds great! How low was the calcium and how did you adjust it? Or was there another issue?
Umm... Calc was less than 250ppm :oops: ;Sorry

I started with a 45g water change and then added 100ml of my Calc 2 part mix twice a day. I have it up to just under 400ppm.

I am going to blame my tanks chemist on this one. I don't know for sure, but I suspect I err... my chemist, mixed up the last batch of 2-part wrong. They had tracked very close for awhile so that is the only thing I can come up with.
My chemist had also gotten very lazy with testing calcium. Since it tracked just fine with Alk, and I made sure the dosing container levels went down evenly, it had been quite awhile since I tested.

I'm not a very good reefer. If acro's were nearly as sensitive as some people make them to be my tank wouldn't have any. :oops:

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I expected to get pictures posted yesterday but it didn't happen. So... here are a few today.

This is the view from my recliner. I kinda like it!
DSC_0005.jpg

Slightly different angle. I did finish the trim work on my tank stand after only 19 months.... so no more rough wood edge or bottom glass showing on the tank. Not the best work I've done, but I lack the skill to get the trim perfect when I can't build it onto the tank.

DSC_0003.jpg

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Trachy was puffed out more when I decided to take a picture, but then it started closing up. Not too much though.
DSC_0001-2.jpg

I fell in love with this the first time I saw it but it is so hard to get a picture of. And it grows SLOW! But, after almost 2 years, it is doing much better and out competing the plating monti it is next to. It is more teal than the picture makes it look.
DSC_0002.jpg

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Umm... Calc was less than 250ppm :oops: ;Sorry

I started with a 45g water change and then added 100ml of my Calc 2 part mix twice a day. I have it up to just under 400ppm.

I am going to blame my tanks chemist on this one. I don't know for sure, but I suspect I err... my chemist, mixed up the last batch of 2-part wrong. They had tracked very close for awhile so that is the only thing I can come up with.
My chemist had also gotten very lazy with testing calcium. Since it tracked just fine with Alk, and I made sure the dosing container levels went down evenly, it had been quite awhile since I tested.

I'm not a very good reefer. If acro's were nearly as sensitive as some people make them to be my tank wouldn't have any. :oops:
Haha! These things happen :D I also measured Ca around 250ppm in my home tank long ago. And had a couple of Acropora doing, not fine but okay. I think they got pretty thin branches, like they were starving.
But I don't dare tell that story that often on forums.. ;)

And I agree, many Acropora species are really hardy when they've been in a tank for some time. Hardier than Seriatopora and Montipora species I think.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 26 31.3%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 14.5%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 22 26.5%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 22 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back