Brew's 187g slice of the ocean

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking at trying to attend a Reef-A-Palooza next year. One show hits my birthday. One show hits my son's birthday. One show starts the day after my wife's birthday.

The one in Orlando starts the day my wife and I leave Disney World. Might have to rethink those travel arrangements.....

I think you're just going to have to go to all of them...

And while your changing our your overflow if you have a small pump and some tubing laying around you can use it to kindof hose down the exposed coral every now and again.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And while your changing our your overflow if you have a small pump and some tubing laying around you can use it to kindof hose down the exposed coral every now and again.
That's a great idea! ;Writing I do keep a setup like that next to my tank. I figure they will be fine for at least a 1/2 hour but this is a great plan if I hit snags. You rock!

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a great idea! ;Writing I do keep a setup like that next to my tank. I figure they will be fine for at least a 1/2 hour but this is a great plan if I hit snags. You rock!

I'm a firm believer in having a backup plan or a plan to keep things going if I hit a snag. Hopefully you never have to use said plans but atleast they are there if needed :D

Certainly takes the tension off of things and let's you take your time and focus on doing things properly instead of rushing and potentially causing a bigger issue.

Also worth noting and I didn't see it mentioned anywhere but make sure you do this with your reef lights either off or turned WAY down. All that bright light could potentially cause some serious damage when theres just a slime layer protecting your corals.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a firm believer in having a backup plan or a plan to keep things going if I hit a snag. Hopefully you never have to use said plans but atleast they are there if needed :D

Certainly takes the tension off of things and let's you take your time and focus on doing things properly instead of rushing and potentially causing a bigger issue.

Also worth noting and I didn't see it mentioned anywhere but make sure you do this with your reef lights either off or turned WAY down. All that bright light could potentially cause some serious damage when theres just a slime layer protecting your corals.
I'll either need to turn them off and raise them up or might even remove them completely so I can reach over the front of the tank if needed. It's something I have considered, but I'm very glad you posted it as I should have mentioned that. Hopefully someone reading my thread catches that. It's also why I do my bigger water changes in the morning, if possible. Get it done while the lighting is low to keep from burning the corals.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may have already hit my first snag for getting this done on Saturday. I decided to dig into the box that the new overflow shipped in. I know that @TaylorPilot takes pride in his work but seriously... this packaging is overkill. Just because you think of your acrylic work like they are your children does not mean you have to pack them that way. This thing has more peanuts than Jimmy Carters desk! It's going to take me hours just to get all the padding and protective film off this thing.

I mean seriously, if you dropped this on your foot you wouldn't need acrylic glue, you would need an emergency room. I can't imagine how much force it would take to actually break it.

I'll take some pictures tomorrow in between trick-or-treaters.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may have already hit my first snag for getting this done on Saturday. I decided to dig into the box that the new overflow shipped in. I know that @TaylorPilot takes pride in his work but seriously... this packaging is overkill. Just because you think of your acrylic work like they are your children does not mean you have to pack them that way. This thing has more peanuts than Jimmy Carters desk! It's going to take me hours just to get all the padding and protective film off this thing.

I mean seriously, if you dropped this on your foot you wouldn't need acrylic glue, you would need an emergency room. I can't imagine how much force it would take to actually break it.

Be sure to check in the bottom of the box for the installation tools. I missed them on my first look through and only found them as I was breaking down the box fir trash...

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Lol! I had a custom sump, skimmer and fuge built by Lifereef and man oh man did I get some packing peanuts. Two huge leaf bags full by the end of the 3 boxes for a relatively small sump, fuge and skimmer. I was shocked. Still have them though, great for Christmas gifts :D

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be sure to check in the bottom of the box for the installation tools. I missed them on my first look through and only found them as I was breaking down the box fir trash...
It took me over 20 minutes to find the tools. Mine hadn't settled to the bottom. I ended up pulling out almost half the peanuts before I found the bag with them in it. Made me wonder if this was Easter and not Holloween! :p

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It took me over 20 minutes to find the tools. Mine hadn't settled to the bottom. I ended up pulling out almost half the peanuts before I found the bag with them in it. Made me wonder if this was Easter and not Holloween! :p
20 minutes to find tools? Hopefully u had a beer or two in your hand to balance out the frustration. It's the worst when things arent where they should be. I just blame the booze and the 10mm fairy.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20 minutes to find tools? Hopefully u had a beer or two in your hand to balance out the frustration. It's the worst when things arent where they should be. I just blame the booze and the 10mm fairy.
Unfortunately, due to this virus/crud I've had, I haven't had any alcohol in over 2 weeks. ;Sorry

The tools are machined acrylic wrenches wrapped in bubble wrap that is almost the same color as the packing peanuts. The box it shipped in was around 3 ft long and 1ft wide and deep. Those wrenches were surprisingly hard to find in the box. I had almost given up but was taking one last wipe along the bottom of the box when I felt something odd brush my forearm.

I'd imagine more than one person has thrown them away assuming they were never shipped.

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, due to this virus/crud I've had, I haven't had any alcohol in over 2 weeks. ;Sorry

The tools are machined acrylic wrenches wrapped in bubble wrap that is almost the same color as the packing peanuts. The box it shipped in was around 3 ft long and 1ft wide and deep. Those wrenches were surprisingly hard to find in the box. I had almost given up but was taking one last wipe along the bottom of the box when I felt something odd brush my forearm.

I'd imagine more than one person has thrown them away assuming they were never shipped.
Strange they wouldnt have them bagged or something with a contrast to avoid that. Small things go a long way for customer satisfaction.

Someone get this man a beverage, on the double! And make it a double!

Hope the meds do their job and u get a crisp ice cold one when ur able too. And then get the camera out ;)

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Strange they wouldnt have them bagged or something with a contrast to avoid that. Small things go a long way for customer satisfaction.

Hope the meds do their job and u get a crisp ice cold one when ur able too. And then get the camera out ;)
I've almost turned the corner on this cough. That is the main reason I haven't had a drink. The cough meds I need to sleep are narcotic based. I'm going to try to switch from cough meds to Makers Mark on Friday night so if I am up coughing all night I don't have to go to work.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

HE could ship those overflows in a ripped Walmart bag filled with scrunched up fast food wrappers and I’d still given him 5 stars- the product is just that amazing. Best purchase I made for my tank, hands down

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL...I need to start packing them inside the rear box, so they don't get lost in the bottom. i have never had to dig them out before, just put them in, so I didn't know of the struggles.
The struggle is real! :p Maybe bright orange tape wrapped around it would help.

I don't know how long you have been making these overflows for, but I really wish I had gotten yours at the start. Had I known you made them, I would have. Were you making them 2 years ago?

The custom sump pieces you made for my last build were fantastic. You went above and beyond with that. At that point, you didn't have a 55g sump design. I also didn't want to run filter socks (mistake on my part). You made custom designed baffles with the tank dimensions I sent and included acrylic spacers and straightening jigs to make installation a breeze.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot to take a picture earlier. Getting it prepped
64990E37-E792-4A0B-A320-97682299D231.jpeg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back